New to the cider stuff

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otuatail

Reaction score
Hi I have done plenty of wine and berr but this is my first atempt at cider. I like strong beers and the SG is usualy around 45-50 but when I try Youngs brew pear cider and put in 1kg sugar I get an initial SG of 34 with timings of
7-12 days in bucket
4 Days in presure barel and
7 days moved to a cooler place

This dosn't seem like a strong cider to me based on beer SG readings. I have just started this so could add more sugar.

Desmond.

What ABV does the kit claim to make? Add 20gm per litre for every 1% extra you want. (That's ordinary sugar, dunno about stuff like DME)
Cider will finish a good bit lower than ale. Possibly below 1.000. Hence your surprise at the SG.

Hi Thanks. The only thing it says is ABV 7% if following instructions for 32 pints

I think this will be only 4% so to get to 7% acording to oldbloke that is another 66 grams. Dosn't seem much. I think I need to get up to about SG 45.

One thing that may make a diffrence is, when you use a beer kit the malt will keep the SG up as it is like treakle in a can but the pear juice is liter.

you probably havn't stirred it properly, which is fine but will give you an incorrect reading.

the hangover and embarrassment will prove it's up there. :lol:

otuatail said:
Hi Thanks. The only thing it says is ABV 7% if following instructions for 32 pints

I think this will be only 4% so to get to 7% acording to oldbloke that is another 66 grams. Dosn't seem much. I think I need to get up to about SG 45.

One thing that may make a diffrence is, when you use a beer kit the malt will keep the SG up as it is like treakle in a can but the pear juice is liter.

20gm PER LITRE, I said.

If it reckons to make 7%, then it should, unless you dilute it to 40 pints or something.
I'd be very wary of adding more sugar than the instructions recommend.

I have given the cider another vigouras stirr and it is still SG=34. I have added another 500g. If I can't remember the previouse day then I may not put too much sugar in next time. I have a next door neighbour so I will use him as a gunny pig.

HA !

Remember that wines and ciders, unlike beers, will get as low as 990, which would get your brew to 5.8% or there abouts.

Latest posts

Back