New to brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rangeroverman

Reaction score
New to this brewing game started at New year with good old christmas presents, Brewed Wilko's Hoppy Copper bitter put into KingKeg presssure barrel nice and clear tastes good to, Brewed an old brew of treacle ale last week been in fermenter for just under a week no activity from air lock.
Could this be down to having a 15lt barrel with only 4.5lt of brew in it and enough space to ferment of has my brew failed? :?: .
Ps did have slight raising of lid...

if your brewing in the fermenting bucket the lid is probably leaking. has there been any krausen form on the top of the beer?

Not noticed any, only thing i can think of wrong was putting yeast in while it was still quite warm, could this kill the yeast or start it early? :oops:

10l of headspace is enough to hide a lot of CO2 - is there anything visual happening on the surface of the wort?
If you're going to do 1gallon runs, think about getting a demijohn (or several...)(or a 5l water bottle from a supermarket)

Thanks for all help, just stuck in the old hydromiter and got a good 1.000 started with 1.049 so it has done its bit without it letting us know (cheeky cheeky) just bottled it, so now its a waiting game.
Only did a gallon due to peolpe saying its not a great tasting brew :pray:
There was a 1" grime rim just above wort....

rangeroverman said:
Not noticed any, only thing i can think of wrong was putting yeast in while it was still quite warm, could this kill the yeast or start it early? :oops:

A lot of dried yeasts are supposed to be rehydrated at 35C, which isn't exactly cold, but yeh, too hot will kill it.

Latest posts

Back