New speed limit laws

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Did anyone here know about this new law being forced on us on 7 July?

In the article it says some cars will have an advisory system but then it goes on to say "The new rules, set to take effect in July, introduce 'mandatory' speed limiters which will automatically reduce your speed" if cars are fitted with advisory systems people will just ignore the warning and still drive at higher speeds.

Cars that will be affected by new speed limit laws that will ‘change how we drive’ as Brits given one week warning

The change will come into law in July 2024

In case you weren't aware, UK drivers are set to undergo a major change which could see the way we drive changed forever.

We're of course talking about the new law regarding mandatory speed limiters that is set to come into effect from 7 July 2024.

But what cars will be impacted by the change in the law?

According to the new law, all new cars bought after 7 July will need to be fitted with an Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) system, with all car manufacturers in the UK legally required to make sure all cars on sale have speed limiters fitted to them.

They will also be required to make sure older models for sale are retroactively fitted with ISA systems before purchase.

So there you have it, any new car bought after 7 July will have a come with a speed limiter already fitted.

What is a speed limiter?

Simply put, a speed limiter is a device that aims stops your car travelling above a certain speed.

Unlike cruise control, which is used to make long journeys more comfortable, you'll still accelerate as normal but the limiter will produce warnings or may even reduce engine power.

Where did the new law on speed limiters come from?

The law on speed limiters was originally introduced back in 2022 by the European Union. Now you may be thinking that Brexit would make us exempt from the new rules, however, the UK has also chosen to ratify the law over here.

This means that speed limiters will not only be mandatory in the UK but across the whole of the continent.

How will the speed limiters work?

According to WeBuyAnyCar, the new speed limiters will either use an ISA system (which uses cameras to traffic signs), GPS technology or a mix of both to regulate drivers' speed.

Some cars may even use a mix of both systems.

The systems will either be advisory, supportive or intervening. In simple terms, this means that cars will be automatically limited to the speed of the road they're on.

An advisory system is the least invasive of the three, with a warning symbol popping up on the driver's screen if they exceed the speed limit. Whereas a mandatory limiter will reduce engine power if you exceed the speed limit of a certain road.

"The new rules, set to take effect in July, introduce 'mandatory' speed limiters, changing how we drive on roads. These Intelligent Speed Assistance systems will become standard, forcing drivers to stick to speed limits automatically,” said a spokesperson for Motor Match said.

Experts insist the move will reduce collisions on UK roads though not everyone is convinced, with concerns already being raised over the change.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/uk-news/speed-limiters-new-car-law-211444-20240626

Last edited:
yup. I knew. initially all new cars to know the speed limit of the road and warn. then further down the line you wont be able to speed they will intervene. tape over camera, car firmware hacks, disable gps, this will happen of course until a generation forget this has been done and is the norm. I'm not saying its our right to speed. rather taking away the desicion making for the driver to drive at a speed appropriate to the road and its conditions because car hating councils either through intent or laziness or lack of money often have roads with inappropriate speeds. like 60 on some minor country roads as seen below.

1719933395545.png

My car can be set to show the speed limit assuming the sign is not half covered by overgrown foilage, defaced with spray paint by the council in many instances when re-signing roads for 20 in wales or some wag has turned the 30 into an 80. even now uk luddites are making white reflective self adhesive stickers to cover the 0 on the speed limit signs to reduce us to 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6 miles an hour. (although how luddites can embrace such a thing as a self adhesive sticker is beyond me.) Just stop oil life must be making them for them.

My car can be set to show the speed limit assuming the sign is not half covered by overgrown foilage, defaced with spray paint by the council in many instances when re-signing roads for 20 in wales or some wag has turned the 30 into an 80.

My car has camera recognition and speed limit warning and it often flashes up 10mph or 20mph when going past a supermarket car park on a 30mph road imagine if the car had auto speed limit i would be travelling at 20mph below the limit.

My car also has speed recognition and thankfully just advisory, i cannot and do not agree with mandated control of speeds.

As stated overtaking will become extremely hazardous, motorways will not flow correctly if everyone is limited to the exact 70mph changing lanes will be a nightmare.

We rightly have halted the march of autonomous vehicles on safety grounds, this is very close to that.

What about areas where the gps signal fails? yes it does happen in rural areas, as an engineer and former amateur racing driver, i am terrified of inexperienced drivers on roads where the power can be cut without warning on a fwd car this can lead to lift off oversteer a condition very few drivers have the skill to recover from.

Imagine the terror of committing to an overtake and suddenly have the power cut, its scary

The examples given of false readings also back this as immature technology.

Advisory and annoying beeps and noises i can accept not remote control.

My car has camera recognition and speed limit warning and it often flashes up 10mph or 20mph when going past a supermarket car park on a 30mph road imagine if the car had auto speed limit i would be travelling at 20mph below the limit.
Yep, I drove a Volkswagen ID.3 for 12 months or so, and the speed limit sign recognition system was able to command the cruise control to adopt the new speed limit.

Imagine my horror when, whilst driving along a 70mph urban dual carriageway on cruise control, it spotted a 30mph sign on a service road. Luckily, there was nobody directly behind me. I disabled it immediately, and it remained de-activated for the rest of the time I had the car.

I can't believe any car manufacturer would be looking forward to all the claims for rear-end collisions from faulty speed limit sign detection.

Much as I dislike Tesla, they are almost certainly the best bet at reading and processing the surroundings, having spent millions on it, and even they still get it wrong! What hope do the legacy auto-makers have?

What i dont get is why the rush i haven't heard anything about this until today and now its all over the place.

What i dont get is why the rush i haven't heard anything about this until today and now its all over the place.
Indeed. I've heard about the mandatory inclusion of a user-configurable speed limiter (which most modern cars with cruise control have anyway) and an audible/visual warning when exceeding the limit, but today is the first time I've heard about actual mechanical enforcement of the limit.

Without having done any detailed research and with no desire to spend any time doing so, I'm internally discounting it as fake news. News generates clicks and clicks generate advertising revenue, so the more clicks the better. It's easy to embellish fact with some hand-wringing fiction with the usual "15 minute city"/"you will own nothing and be happy"/"you will be repressed" dystopian nonsense the tin-foil-hat wearers love to read in order to provide positive reinforcement of their beliefs - and then a week later add a small correction to the article admitting the news was factually incorrect when all of the traffic has stopped anyway.

"They will also be required to make sure older models for sale are retroactively fitted with ISA systems before purchase."
How are they going to do this because as I read it every used car even one worth £500 has to have a system fitted if sold after the 7th of July which will probably cost more than the car.
Or am I reading it wrong

"They will also be required to make sure older models for sale are retroactively fitted with ISA systems before purchase."
How are they going to do this because as I read it every used car even one worth £500 has to have a system fitted if sold after the 7th of July which will probably cost more than the car.
Or am I reading it wrong
A cheap sat nav will give you real time speed warnings so they wouldn't have to spend much.

Drivers have been warned that their cars could be fitted with ‘mandatory’ speed limiters following a change to driving laws this month.

A shift in EU driving rules will see the implementation of the speed limiters, and it has the potential to impact UK drivers, experts have warned.
Automotive sectors in the EU and UK are heavily integrated, and as a result the law change could feature on cars in the UK.
Experts at Motor Match said: “The new rules, set to take effect in July, introduce 'mandatory' speed limiters, changing how we drive on roads.

“These Intelligent Speed Assistance systems will become standard, forcing drivers to stick to speed limits automatically. For instance, ISA technology would limit you to a maximum of 70 mph as this is the national speed limit.
“It's important to note that while speed limiters are already present in many cars, the upcoming regulations tighten control.
"The new Intelligent Speed Assistance systems not only prevent speeding fines and contribute to fuel savings but also significantly reduce the risk of penalties.
“The minimum penalty for speeding currently includes a £100 fine and 3 penalty points on your licence.
Speaking about the impact the technology could have on driving, the Motor Match experts added: “With ISA technology, the likelihood of accumulating penalty points, and the risk of being disqualified from driving for gathering 12 or more points within three years, is greatly reduced.
“This technology could lead to a drastic change in road safety, fostering a more controlled driving environment where speed limits are adhered to, thus reducing accidents significantly."
“Showing support for the introduction of mandatory speed limiters is key in supporting safer roads. Last year, police records showed that exceeding the speed limit was a contributory factor in 20% of deaths on the road.
“Furthermore, travelling too fast or exceeding the speed limit contributed to 25% of deaths. Speed limits are set for a reason, and it’s illegal to ignore them. Despite this, 5,171 accidents in 2022 were caused by drivers and riders exceeding the speed limit — a 5.1% increase year on year."

The Telegraph

I have just found this article which seems to be different rules. Comes from car reviews & News
  • From 7 July 2024, all new cars will legally have to be fitted with a speed limiter in the EU
  • Great Britain will not be adopting the new speed limiting rules, however the rules will apply to Northern Ireland
  • Despite the speed limiters, the driver will still be responsible for adhering to the speed limits
All new cars that are launching or have been launched in the EU need to be fitted with an Intelligent Speed Assist (ISA) by 7 July 2024 according to the 2019/2044 regulation by the European Commission. This means any existing unregistered cars on forecourts will have to be retrofitted with a speed limiter before they can be sold.
This mandate comes after the European Commission's legislation that made it a legal requirement for all new vehicles sold in Europe to be fitted with a speed limiter from 6 July 2022.The Department for Transport (DfT) has clarified that cars in Great Britain will not be affected by this new road safety regulation, however, this regulation will apply to cars in Northern Ireland.While this safety measure isn't being adopted in GB at the moment, the Department for Transport are constantly researching how transport users across all modes can benefit from the latest technology, ensuring journeys are safe, reliable, and cut emissions.

These Intelligent Speed Assistance systems will become standard, forcing drivers to stick to speed limits automatically. For instance, ISA technology would limit you to a maximum of 70 mph as this is the national speed limit.

Look at that from the press - it’ll “force” drivers!

But from the Euro legislation (which may or may not apply to the UK in whole or part) :

“The ISA system is required to work with the driver and not to restrict his/her possibility to act in any moment during driving. The driver is always in control and can easily override the ISA system.”

I can't believe any car manufacturer would be looking forward to all the claims for rear-end collisions from faulty speed limit sign detection.

Or the claims on civil eng companies... Cos a
Numpty put a sign in the wrong place 😱😱

Without having done any detailed research and with no desire to spend any time doing so, I'm internally discounting it as fake news.

I too do wonder if time travel has taken us back to 1 April 😁

But I’ll be honest, if I worked in the press, I’d be pretty unlikely to write the article as :

“Car manufacturers are being mandated to install facilities on all new cars which have several methods for helping drivers stay within the speed limit, should they choose to enable them.”

Nobody’s going to share that; revenue would be negligible.

If somebody can send me a link to the legislation rather than a tabloid article, I’ll be more inclined to believe it 🙂

1719943817037.png

On the 17 May 2018 the European Commission proposed a new set of mandatory vehicle safety standards for all vehicles sold in the European Union. Intelligent Speed Assistance is one of the technologies that has been proposed to be fitted on all vehicles. ETSC is calling on the European Parliament, the Council and Member States to support these proposals.

What is Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA)?​

ISA is a vehicle safety technology already available on several models of new car in EU showrooms. ETSC is calling for ISA systems that use a sign-recognition video camera and a GPS-linked speed limit database to help drivers keep to the current speed limit.

Such a system will limit engine power when necessary to help prevent the driver from exceeding the current speed limit. The system can be overridden, or temporarily switched off. As well as improving road safety, reducing emissions and saving fuel, the system can help drivers avoid speeding fines.

What are the main benefits of ISA?​

ISA is probably the single most effective new vehicle safety technology currently available in terms of its life-saving potential. A study for the European Commission found the other main positive impacts include: encouraging walking and cycling due to increased perceived safety of cars vis-à-vis vulnerable road users, a traffic calming effect, reductions in insurance costs, higher fuel efficiency and reduced CO2 emissions.[1]

Tackling excessive speed is fundamental to reducing the figure of 26,000 road deaths every year in Europe. With mass adoption and use, ISA is expected to reduce collisions by 30% and deaths by 20%.

Can the system be overridden?​

Yes. ETSC recommends fitting ISA systems that can be overridden temporarily.

Example: a driver is carrying out an overtaking manoeuvre to pass a lorry on a motorway at the same time as a decrease in the speed limit is encountered. In this case, the driver could temporarily override the lower speed limit and complete the manoeuvre at a higher speed by depressing the accelerator down hard to signal to the system that the limiter should be temporarily disabled. If the driver continues to drive above the speed limit for several seconds, the system should sound a warning for a few seconds and display a visual warning until the vehicle is operating at or below the speed limit again. Once the vehicle is operating at or below the speed limit, the override state should be cancelled and normal functionality should resume.

ETSC also supports a full on/off switch for the system, to aid public acceptance at introduction. However the system should be on by default and any temporary switched off state should remain only until the vehicle is restarted. Switching off the system should require the user to hold down the button for several seconds to avoid accidental switch off.

For lorries, buses and vans ETSC recommends a slightly different approach. Lorries and buses already have mandatory top speed limiters[2]. These should remain, accompanied by ISA that is overridable at speeds below the top speed limit. ETSC believes that a new top speed limitation of 100km/h should be introduced for vans, also accompanied by overridable ISA for lower speeds.

Will the vehicle brake when it detects a lower speed limit?​

No, the ISA system we recommend does not apply the brakes to reduce speed. When the vehicle encounters a lower speed limit it should display a visual warning to the driver. It is then the driver’s responsibility to brake to reduce the speed appropriately. If the driver does not apply the brakes, the vehicle would in any case slow down naturally to the new speed limit by reducing engine power. This is the equivalent of the driver lifting his or her foot off the accelerator.

The driver may encounter automatic braking while using ISA if an automated emergency braking (AEB) or adaptive cruise control (ACC) system is also in operation on the vehicle.

What happens if the vehicle limits the speed incorrectly?​

ISA is a driver assistance technology: the driver, not the car, is responsible for obeying the current speed limit at all times.

Speed-sign recognition technology is improving rapidly. It should be possible to detect the current speed limit at a high level of accuracy including temporary speed limits, digital signs, overhead signs and the like. Similarly, over-the-air updates of speed limit information stored in the car is possible, especially now that all cars have to have the built-in communications technology required for the eCall system. In the limited number of cases where the car limits the speed incorrectly to a lower speed than is actually permitted, the driver would be able to override. Conversely, if the vehicle sets the limit higher than is actually permitted, then the driver would be responsible for ensuring that he or she does not exceed the speed limit.

The car industry is rapidly developing automated driving functionality where the ability of the car to obey the current speed limit will be essential and the carmaker will be responsible for any error. ISA’s rapid adoption will therefore aid development of a robust approach.

Can I already buy a car with ISA fitted?​

Yes, several manufacturers already sell cars in Europe with various implementations of ISA including Ford, Mercedes-Benz, Peugeot/Citroen, Renault and Volvo. The image on the left shows the ISA display on the dashboard of the current generation Ford S-Max.

Euro NCAP, the consumer safety rating organisation, gives points[3] for vehicles that include ISA. .

Is ISA an expensive technology?​

No. Most of the technology required for ISA is already becoming standard on new cars anyway. All cars will soon have GPS built-in, a requirement of the mandatory eCall emergency calling system in the EU. Many new cars also come fitted with a forward-facing camera, required for technologies such as lane guidance and automated emergency braking. The majority also already have manually set speed limitation functions, so automating this feature is a natural next step. A recent cost assessment for the European Commission found that a camera-based system, shared between several systems such as Automated Emergency Braking (AEB), Lane Keeping Assistance (LKA) and Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA), would cost in the range of €47–62 per vehicle. The total cost for components (camera, ECU, brackets, trim, wiring) and OEM design and development, tooling costs, etc. was estimated at €186–249, based on individual costs extracted from NHTSA, 2012.[4]

A report for the Commission by consultants TRL has found ISA to be ‘feasible in terms of the technology required’, already available on the market and offering a positive benefit-cost ratio.[5]

Do drivers like ISA?​

ISA has been trialled on the road in eleven EU member states and, while drivers take a short time to adjust to the technology, the great majority appreciate it. One obvious benefit, as Ford has pointed out in a recent marketing campaign, is that it helps drivers avoid speeding tickets.[6]

https://etsc.eu/briefing-intelligent-speed-assistance-isa/

Last edited:
<Tin foil hat>It's also more snooping on where you are going - big brother style.
A logical progression would be that your can will be switched off if you venture outside your designated zone. Loss of freedom of movement & the return of serfdom.</tin foil hat>

Is this part of why 2nd hand car prices are so high now?
If I wanted to replace our old diesel mutlispace vans with the same age model, I'd be paying as much & maybe more than we got them 2nd hand 8 years ago. Both way too old to be ulez compliant, so why?

Madness I tell you

Latest posts

Back