New brew!..

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spursmatt

Reaction score
Hello there people,

In a few weeks I will be doing a new batch of homebrew. As I am quite new to this I am keeping it simple with just a coopers stout and cooper dark malt extract for the tin. Now the question I would like to as is this.

I want to add some chocolate grains in for a bit of flavour, how is the best way to do this!.. I would like to keep it simple as I have not got a lot of time in the week!..

Many thanks

Matt

So is that just boil the water till about 67c and then just let the grain soak in the water for 30mins and the add it to the FV with the other bits???

Many Thanks

I steeped for an extract brew.... Heated the water to 67C kept the temperature there for 30 mins with the bagged grain. Then removed the bag and stuck it in an FV bucket I then heated the water added malt extract, rinsed the grains in the bag with more hot water and squeezed out all I could then boiled for 60 mins adding hops etc. Kits don't require a boil but wort from sparged grains needs a boil to drive off the DMS off flavours... However you could probably get away with less time as the quantities of grain are so small.

I will let a more knowledgeable person override me on this as I haven't done it but I would suggest soaking them in hot water at 67ish and removing the bag giving it a rinse and squeeze then boiling the wort for at least10mins to kill germs etc then adding it as part of the water used with the kit.

Cheers mate!..

Hopefully I can do what you have said in your second paragraph..

If not then craigtube has a porter that i Can do with the chocolate grains!..

Latest posts

Back