Natural methods or the pill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps i should have said man altered products/chemicals. If it's based on Irish moss why isn't it Irish moss?

So next time you have a pint are you going to chew on a few grains of malt or maybe wrap them in a hop leaf and have your pint sushi style :lol: :lol:

A pint is afterall a man altered product and the grain carbohydrates have been converted under acidic conditions (ie, a mash ph of 5.2) :hmm:

Because it isn't Irsih moss it's been chemicalised

Protafloc data sheet quote

Semi refined carrageenan, produced by alkali treatment of Euchema cotonnii, specifically for use in brewing

Food for thought

I've often postulated that one of the reasons irish moss isn't as effective as tabulated IM, is that the tablet has been powdered and when it dissolves it has a much larger surface area to react with the wort :hmm:

Vossy1 said:
So next time you have a pint are you going to chew on a few grains of malt or maybe wrap them in a hop leaf and have your pint sushi style :lol: :lol:

:rofl:

That's it. I know what to serve up at the next CAMRA meeting.

Thanks Vossy

Probably as weird as mine. :lol:

I just hate adding tablets to things. To me it's yuk. I don't take tablets. Not even those prescribed by real doctors. Irish Moss looks all sort of 'real' and i like that. I don't really care if it work's or not. Given time, all my beers clear anyway. Not that i want them to as i like hazy beer. :twisted:
I brew beer for me not the masses. :thumb:

So untill they make a 'mossy' shaped tab i'm not keen. :cool:

Mad Hippies Rule. :rofl:

Irish moss does work . . . unfortunately the degree to which it works is not reliable from batch to batch . . . The main benefit of whirlfloc/protofloc is that the refining process means that there is a known qty of activity in each tablet . . . . not that mine are tablet shaped now . . . its more a brown powder that I weigh out and add :D

I don't worry too much about crystal clear beer, but when I'm giving it to other people I would prefer it if it was clear . . . especially the ones that I want to convert to homebrew.

And when i brew beer, it still stays in it's original form, it doesn't suddenly turn into a white tablet. I throw away the spent grains-strangely grain shaped and light brown. Not round and white. Also my hops are still hop shaped when i've used them, they haven't miraculously turned into a small round white tablet. Even more bizarre is the fact that the water i use doesn't turn into a small round tablet. As for the yeast... Still not turned into a small round white tablet thing. Perhaps thats because none of these products are CHEMICALISED. Chemicalised is turning a perfectly good product into something the manufacturer's say is the same but better? Better means turning it into a small round white tablet???????????
So when you go out and eat a fantastically cooked steak you expect it to be a small white tablet? Why not? It's the same as steak-if the manufacturers gave you a reason as to why it is.
So you'll be perfectly happy with your grains as small white round tablets, and your hops, your yeast??? Small round white tablets are NOT Irish Moss, no matter what explanation you give me. :geek:

Small white tablets are small white tablets. You don't really know whats in them do you? Really. Irish Moss is Irish Moss. Whether it works or not is no concern of mine. Actually i don't think it helps that much at all really.

After once a) running out of Whirlfloc and b) forgetting to add copper finings completely and seeing the results its Whirlfloc every time for me now.

Vossy1 said:
Protafloc data sheet quote

Semi refined carrageenan, produced by alkali treatment of Euchema cotonnii, specifically for use in brewing

And they then use sodium to bind it together and form a small white tablet. So it HAS SODIUM IN IT.

Bloody pill heads

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Nearly everything has sodium in it...seeing as how Irish moss lives in the sea it probably has quite a bit already. And we won't get into the chemicals used on hops or grain as they're grown or even the use of gibberellic acid which some maltings use to promote germination of the grain during the malting process.

In the end EVERYTHING is a chemical.

Back