My hydrometer water reading = 1.004

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teabicky

Reaction score
I have just tried my hydrometer in water to see what it read. My hydrometer is supposedly calibrated at 20 degrees C which is exactly what the temperature (by coincidence) was. The problem is that it was floating at 1.004, why could this be and does that mean that my beer readings are .004 out?

My beer has been reading at 1.014 for three days, could it actually be 1.010 instead or am I making some sort of fundamental mistake?

Cheers. :wha:

mark1964 said:
could be faulty take it back to shop ask them to check it :D

Thats what I am thinking. I will test it again and send it back. I guess if my reading is correct then I should be able to subtract .004 from the reading to get a more accurate result.

yes - if its reading wrong (1.004 instead of 1.000) then just take .004 from any reading, then get a new one :thumb:

teabicky i understand your plight , yesterday i picked up some grain and bought a spare hydro just in case, did a brew and put me new hydro in yet it was reading something stupid, so i tesd it in water .996 [which made me feel better knowing i'd not f**ked me brew up]
so it makes me wonder how many of us are using tackle assuming its all ok :hmm:

Latest posts

Back