My homebrew idea

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alanc16

Reaction score
Ingredients

2 big bags of sour skittles
4.5 litres of water
5g cider yeast/sweetener

I blended up the 2 bags of sour skittles and added to 4.5 litres of hot water

Stirred for 5-10 minutes until they where completely dissolved, waited untill 25c then added the yeast/sweetener

Just wondering has anyone ever thought of doing / done this before

I haven't tried making that but what I have tried is skittle vodka.

Pour skittles into empty vodka bottle, pour vodka in top of skittles. Leave overnight.

Yummy fruity shots :D

It works a treat. Fingers crossed this does too, remember and post the results :)

It's been about 3 hours now and there's no sign of it reacting :( any ideas?

yeah, check for preservatives etc.

Also you might need to add some yeast nutrient, not sure the yeasties are gonna get much from the skittles apart from the sugar :)

Yeast was all killed off, been 30 hours now and it's built no pressure whatsoever :( anyway I can kick start it?

What weight of skittles altogether? Sour Skittles are about 72% sugar, how mjuch sugar have you got in there? Maybe it's been eaten without troubling the airlock!

Hmm, about 42g of sugar per 50g of skittles, so they ahve plenty of sugar.

Ingredients are :- Sugar, Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Apple Juice from Concentrate, Tapioca Dextrin, Modified Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavours, Ascorbic Acid *Vitamin C), Colours (Red 40 Lake, Blue 1 Lake, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 5 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Red 40, Blue 1, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Titanium Dioxide), Sodium Citrate, Carnauba Wax

Only thing i can see there that might kill the yeasties is the titanium dioxide. So I guess either it's that or you need some nutirent cos there's bugger all minerals and vitamins in there.

How about boil the whole wort for 20mins to cool off any preservatives, once cooled check gravity and get it to the gravity you want by adding more sugar or water. Then re pitch yeast. That should do the job

Back