My first two results with some questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A return to homebrew after 37 years.

Started with a Youngs bitter kit 21/03/20 and followed the instructions. Started at 1.040 finished after 8 days at 1.010. After a further 2 days in a warm place I syphoned into a King Keg barrel with float and pipe to the tap.
Left for 3 weeks in the garage.
Super clear, plenty of gas, head didn't last long. Tasted like homebrew.

2nd attempt

A Geordie Scottish Export started 05/04/20. I wanted to use a crystallised squeezy honey. 576g of actual honey, I miscalculated and put another 300g of normal sugar in too.
Started at 1.035 finished at 1.005. 18/04 moved half to garage. 26/04 moved remainder to the garage. 06/05 ist half sampled. Completely different to the first brew, could be pub beer no question, nice and clear plus the head stayed around for a lot longer.
Can't say why it is better, maybe the honey, maybe far too much sugar or maybe just a better kit.

3rd attempt

Started a Coopers real ale 26/04/20.
Tried it with a full bag 1kg of Ritchies light malt extract, started at 1.034, not a clue what I'm doing but it's fun trying different things. I let the tap water stand for two days before boiling 4 litres. It's had 2 weeks in the bucket and I've just bottled it today at 1.007. After reading the Forums guide for the beginer, I intend to leave at 20c for two weeks. I've primed half with honey and half with sugar, just to see if I can tell a difference.

I have some questions if anyone can help please.

1 Can I use stabilised chlorine granules for sanitising, I have 4kg left from using in the play pool last summer?

2. After sanitising is it ok just to rinse in tap water?

3. When mixing in the malt extract do I add it to the wort and boiling water, or do I dissolve it seperately in cold water? I just threw it in the mix while the water was still very hot.

4. Is there a glossary of terms available on the Forum? Members who know what they are doing use lingo that is hard to follow. A chap was describing some new gear he was going to buy. He may as well have written it in chinese.:?::D

5. When I primed with honey I swirled around a little beer to dissolve, is this necessary? or will the remaining yeast search it out regardless?

I'm enjoying the forum and would love a go at the real thing with raw ingrediants. What I learned today is that I need another barrel. 4 hours to sanitise bottles/priming/syphoning/cleaning up is unacceptable.

Cheers,
Terry

Latest posts

Back