My Brewing problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m having trouble with a sour taste in my latest batch. It was noticeable during bottling and persists even after conditioning.

Details:
New Grain Batch:
Used new grains.
Temperature Fluctuations: Fermentation temperature wasn’t stable.
Could this be due to an infection or something else? Any advice on troubleshooting or preventing this issue would be appreciated!

You need to give us the recipe method and yeast used oh and the temp fluctuation.
Initially sounds like a Lactobacillus or could be a PH issue too but full info will get better answers athumb..

If it is sour, and not intentionally, then it's almost certainly going to be due to an infection. Most likely some wild yeast or bacteria has been introduced to the wort on the cold-side.

Other less likely causes (things that would reduce the pH of the final beer and give it a sour taste);
  • Use of too much lactic acid (or similar) when adjusting your water.
  • Use of too much acidulated malt.
  • Prolonged acid rest during the mash (~38degC).
  • Use of malt that has been allowed to get wet, and thus infected, prior to be brewing.
  • Use of a high quantity of roasted malts.

Last edited:
If it is sour, and not intentionally, then it's almost certainly going to be due to an infection. Most likely some wild yeast or bacteria has been introduced to the wort on the cold-side.

Other less likely causes (things that would reduce the pH of the final beer and give it a sour taste);
  • Use of too much lactic acid (or similar) when adjusting your water.
  • Use of too much acidulated malt.
  • Prolonged acid rest during the mash (~38degC).
  • Use of malt that has been allowed to get wet, and thus infected, prior to be brewing.
  • Use of a high quantity of roasted malts.

The others are all good points, although they'll generally add a slight tartness rather than sourness. I'll add that there's also a few yeasts that drop the pH more than others, such as the main hefeweizen yeast WLP300 that do the same.

Most likely is a lacto infection, and that usually happens between the boil and the yeast getting active in fermentation, and occurs due to:

- Poor sanitation of fermenter and transfer equipment. Particularly if the fermenter has been exposed to grain dust in the air which is covered in lactobacillus.

- Pitching insufficient yeast resulting in a long lag time that allows the bacteria to take hold.

- The wort being quite warm (high 20s/low 30s), giving bacteria an ideal environment to replicate in.

Latest posts

Back