Muntons kolsch style kit - infected?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiAlBrew

Reaction score
Evening all.

Has anyone done the Muntons Kolsch style kit yet? I opened the fermentor tonight to stick the bag of dry hops in and I'm worried that it has got an infection. The fermentation started slowly and then had a lot of activity. Some sulphury smells for the first few days which I've read isn't uncommon for some yeasts. The krausen was huge, filling the headspace and needing a blow off tube.

The batch was started on the 16th May and seems to have stopped fermenting so I would expect to be able to see the top surface of the beer with a bit of yeast/foam by now. It doesn't smell off/unpleasant. Is it worth racking to a clean fermentor, go for broke in a corny or straight down the drain?

Cheers.

Oh, and it's probably obvious, but ignore the green bit - that's the dust from the hops!

Attachments

• 20240603_231809.jpg
    20240603_231809.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 6
Was the yeast Safale K-97? If so, I find the krausen is always persistent and gummy.
Just checked my notes and yes, it was K-97. Not one I've used before.
I have a tendency to assume the worst when unexpected things happen in the fermenter!

If you have a fridge and it's finished fermenting, cold crash it at 3c for 3 days, take the airlock out i put tin foil in the hole stops it sucking sanitiser out of the airlock

I got it into the corny at the weekend. Almost all the krausen had disappeared and it had cleared reasonably well. The sample taken for a gravity reading tasted promising 🤞

Really strange yeast trub and residue left in the fermenter - almost gel-like.

Back