MJ French saison yeast attenuation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
My GH saison is chugging away in the brew fridge. I used the above mentioned yeast. What % attenuation can I expect with this? The packet and web site just state "very high".

Cheers

Clint

Saison yeasts are very good at chewing up simple sugars, not pausing for those hard to ferment "maltotriose" dextrins, and then carry on to chew anything else that's available (I wouldn't dip your finger in). A FG of less than 1.005 I think you should expect. I used MJ Belgium Saison and that went to 0.997. "Attenuation" starts becoming meaningless when it comes out as 102%.

Expected FG of 1.010 … a bit high? I'd say.

Probably of no worry to you but I did stumble on some conversations about the "Dupont" saison yeasts (liquid) and there was concern about them stalling at 1.030. I think one of the conclusions was the yeast didn't like any over-pressure (even the millibars of over-pressure behind an airlock): So advise was not to use an airlock (I was using cotton-wool anyway).

Saison attenuation is highly dependent on the strain, not all will super-attenuate and some, like Dupont, struggle as it's reported to be derived from a wine yeast. The key is whether the yeast strain is var. Diastaticus or not. http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Saccharomyces

Looking at the GH recipe, it's unusual for a Saison in that it contains a couple of crystal malts in the grist. So some yeasts might finish at 1.010, however MJ Saison is diastatic and will finish much lower for you.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

... The key is whether the yeast strain is var. Diastaticus or not. ...
You are braver than me mentioning "diastaticus". I believe some saison "strains" are not just yeast either; some contain bacteria and exotic yeasts like "brettanomyces". But I think the commonly available strains, especially dried like MJ, will be all saccharomyces"?

Interestingly the "var. Diastaticus" yeast strains (including "saison" strains?) are considered to be an "infection" by some breweries. And the "infection" is on the rise.

You are braver than me mentioning "diastaticus".

2ewo8u.jpeg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

My experience with M29

1.054 down to 1.004 (had honey in it) fermented at about 24 degrees C. 92% apparent attenuation.
1.050 down to 1.000 (no honey) fermented at 27 degrees. 100% apparent attenuation.

So depending on the temperature you ferment at, you are probably looking at between 90% and 100% attenuation from.

In my experience, Belle Saison is just as crazy an attenuator as M29, but I prefer the flavour from M29. Hoping the new Fermentis one is of the same cloth.

I've got this yeast on the go at the moment, with my saison. My mash temps were fluctuating quite a bit and went a little higher than I would have liked, so may be that I have some unfermentable sugars left but will check the gravity at the weekend and see where I've got to. I'm fermenting at 30C too.

It's in the brew fridge which is in the shed at the bottom of the garden, so not keeping an eye on glugging. Did however notice that the top part of the air lock (it's one of those two part ones) had blown out. That's with 18l in a 30l FV.

I've got this yeast on the go at the moment, with my saison. My mash temps were fluctuating quite a bit and went a little higher than I would have liked, so may be that I have some unfermentable sugars left but will check the gravity at the weekend and see where I've got to. I'm fermenting at 30C too.

It's in the brew fridge which is in the shed at the bottom of the garden, so not keeping an eye on glugging. Did however notice that the top part of the air lock (it's one of those two part ones) had blown out. That's with 18l in a 30l FV.

M29 Laughs at the very idea of unfermentable sugars, then poops some nice enzymes and turns them into fermentable ones.... Along with Belle Saison, if you Google around you'll find it's one of a group considered by many brewers to contain a strain of yeasts considered to actually be a contaminant because of this "naughty" behaviour.... For us home brewers though, it just means it will literally ferment pretty near anything right down.

Oh, and yeah, don't bother with an air lock with it. You NEED a blow off tube and a nice big bottle on the end. A normal air lock cries at the mere sight of a packet of M29.... lol You won't keep a 2 part filled, or the top on, for more than a couple of hours at a time.

M29 Laughs at the very idea of unfermentable sugars, then poops some nice enzymes and turns them into fermentable ones.... Along with Belle Saison, if you Google around you'll find it's one of a group considered by many brewers to contain a strain of yeasts considered to actually be a contaminant because of this "naughty" behaviour.... For us home brewers though, it just means it will literally ferment pretty near anything right down.

Oh, and yeah, don't bother with an air lock with it. You NEED a blow off tube and a nice big bottle on the end. A normal air lock cries at the mere sight of a packet of M29.... lol You won't keep a 2 part filled, or the top on, for more than a couple of hours at a time.

Sounds fun. Like a yeast with ADHD. I'm looking forward to getting on the outside of this beer now!

Sounds fun. Like a yeast with ADHD. I'm looking forward to getting on the outside of this beer now!

Good description that, except it has an incredibly obsessive focus... On eating any sugars it can find, and then making some out of anything even close to a sugar, and eating those too! It's the only yeast (that and Belle Saison) I've ever used that somehow gives OVER 100% attenuation.... It's like, oh no sugars left, I know, I'll make some more from some other stuff and eat them. So you end up with a beer with the same SG as pure water at 20 degrees C.... Yet somehow it still has a nice mouth feel, rather than been like, well, water.... lol

It doesn't always go quite that mad, but when it does... lol....

Having now tried M29, Belle Saison and BE-134, M29 is definitely my favourite. It gives the nicest flavour profile, especially if you feed it a nice bit of honey.

Latest posts

Back