Milk wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piper

Reaction score
Started this rather unusual wine a couple of weeks ago. (The recipe is taken from a book I got for Xmas which discusses various techniques for producing alcohol which are, apparently, commonly used in Alaska.)

The trick is to use lactose-free milk. I found this in my local Waitrose (£1.26 per 1 litre carton). It's in the fresh milk section - not UHT! I used the full cream variety, because I like a bit of body in my wine, but next time I might try the semi-skimmed one.

Method: dissolve 900g of sugar in 2 litres of boiling water, put it in a demijohn and wait for it to cool to room temperature then add 2 litres of lactose-free milk. Add yeast and nutrient.

After a few days it will look like no wine you've ever made before:-

wine1.jpg

Now it's time to rack. There's about 1 kg of cottage cheese floating at the top of the wine and I thought this was going to be a bigger problem than it was, but it was quite crumbly. So I strained the contents through a nylon bag into a bucket, then put that into another demijohn.

That's definately a white wine:-

wine2.jpg

What about all the solid stuff? Tastes like alcoholic cottage cheese. Yummy.

Why not....................what could happen!!!!!!!!! :pray:

Darkbrewer said:
You do have to tell how it is. I'm unnaturally curious about it.

There's quite a lot of background information in the book (I can't mention the title as it discusses method which are frowned upon in this forum). Anyway, it tells of an Alaskan priest, Father Emmett Engel, who believed that the devil lived in alcohol in the form of fusel oil (which is the bit that gives you a hangover). He further believed that there was no fusel oil in milk and, therefore, that his destiny was to produce Milk Wine, which he did in abundance.

Milk is normally full of lactose, which doesn't ferment into alcohol, so you can either use lactose-free milk (from the supermarket) or some form of enzyme to break it down - you can buy something called Lactaid - or use one of the ancient methods, such as adding cow guts or saliva.

Back