Milk wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to applaud you on this undertaking. To quote a famous film...

"If you're gonna spew, spew into this" :sick:

Well piper I think I'll stick with a completely lactose free milk for the first go of it. As soon as my current wine is out of the fermentor I'll be doing it.

Well, it's now time to bottle the stuff and, perhaps, even a little taste...

milkwine3.jpg

hmm, that is quite offensive. Can't measure the SG 'coz I broke my 35-year old hydrometer by accident the other day, but my vinometer says approx 15%.

I'll find a home for this on my wine rack - probably next to the cucumber wine - and forget about it for a few months.

WOWDI WOWDI i never thought that spewy concoction would turn out like that lmas :thumb: :thumb: :D :D :thumb: :thumb:

I was pondering the whole fermented yaks milk thing they do in mongolia, would this be a rather more refined adaptation?
You can buy lactase enzyme in holland and barrett. Near 10 quid for 60 tablets tho.

Shug said:
I was pondering the whole fermented yaks milk thing they do in mongolia, would this be a rather more refined adaptation?
You can buy lactase enzyme in holland and barrett. Near 10 quid for 60 tablets tho.

Yes, it's known as Koumiss in some parts, although the commercial version I've seen looks a bit cloudier. Essentially you're just fermenting the whey, so the by-product in this brew was a large amount of alcoholic cottage cheese.

I only used 2 litres of lactose-free milk, total cost £2.52, (plus 2 litres of water), so the lactase enzyme is expensive. I've got another recipe for this in which the by-product is non-alcoholic yoghurt! Opens up a whole new world of possibilities - Yakult, Actimel, etc.

There's only one problem, really... I can't find the right words to describe the taste. The best I could manage was "offensive", which refers both to it's smell and taste.

It's reputed to be very low in fusel oils and, it is claimed, that you can drink it without getting a hangover. But at the moment I can't see myself putting that claim to the test.

piper said:
It is claimed, that you can drink it without getting a hangover.

Thats only because you spew it up as soon as you have drunk it :rofl: :thumb:

Next steps; lay down for 1-2 years, then open, and pour briskly down the sink.

I have the book you mention and was thinking of trying the milk wine too. Let us know if it ages into something palatable!

oldbloke said:
I have the book you mention and was thinking of trying the milk wine too. Let us know if it ages into something palatable!

Well, even if it ends up being undrinkable, the book describes alternatives to throwing the stuff down the sink.

Hi everyone! :)

My name is Paul, writing from Australia. I just noticed this forum and decided to join so I hope that I can become a meaningful contributor over time!

I'm currently on my second milk wine project. I too have this book and am intrigued by this wine. Some years ago I had lengthy conversations with Leon, the author, after I bought this book. He was kind enough to send me an autographed copy, so I have a working copy and a collectable edition right now.

Leon is a great guy, very knowledgable and very helpful. We spoke a bit about Father Engel and his wine and I decided to make it the first time.

In contrast to the example mentioned, my milk wine turned out really great! I'd say, quite respectfully to anyone who has made it and it's turned out disgusting that you've picked up an infection along the way. I'm going to copy the same recipe I used the first time. I used half sugar, half honey. The result was a beautiful, honey coloured wine that got better with age. You should try it because it's different and I agree with Leon, unlike most other wine this stuff is wholesome. I think it tasted great and so did the people I gave it to, to sample.

Anyway here is the recipe I used. It's based on my talks with Leon, and of course the recipe in his book.

2 Litres of lactose free milk (Father Engel used milk powder but here in AU Lactaid enzyme is expensive so I can't buy it)
(I used UHT - or longlife - lactose free milk)
1/2 kg white sugar
1/2 kg honey
2 litres water
1 packet champagne (or sparkling wine) yeast

As Leon told me, honey is a very nice addition. You can experiment with different flower honeys to add different characteristics. I love this stuff and will be making more.

Anyway I hope this helps clarfies some things insofar that this wine is very nice and very different and it will suprise anyone you give it to when you tell them it's made using milk. If you have any questions let me know I'll be glad to help if I can.

With best regards
Paul Delphin
Tasmania, Australia

Latest posts

Back