McEwans Champion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all

I've been drinking McEwans Champion for a few months now and I'm looking to try and have a go at brewing it.

This thread (which is not open to replies) talks about Champion Ale No.1 and elsewhere I see it referred to as No.1 Champion (with and without the 'Ale')

My other research leads me to belive that this is from a Tesco competition back in 1997, so not an old 70s/80s beer.

So are all of these beers the same with or without "No.1" and "Ale"

If so, is the recipe in the first link a decent enough clone recipe?

Thank you

Champion is one of my favourite supermarket beers. Im pretty sure the different versions of the name are the same beer, just different labelling (they had a Burns label for a while and few different versions over the years) but I may be wrong.

I had a quick google for recipes as this is going to be added to my to-do list, let me know what recipe you go for and how it turns out.

Few things I would stick to - Golden promise base malt and Edinburgh ale yeast.
When I make a wee heavy I always remove 4L first wort runnings and boil to a thick syrup on the stove and add back to the boil in last 5-10 mins. This gives a nice caramel flavour that works well and bumps up the ABV a little.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I was wondering if the stove method also helps with the colour? Looking at the thread mentioned in the opening post, the recipe there suggests an SRM of 21. But unless I'm doing something wrong with my conversion to kgs and EBC, I don't see how you would end up with that dark a colour with those ingredients.

Brewfather would suggest 16 SRM. Still a big difference to overcome.....

Back