Maple syrup in beer ??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolverine

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone tried this ? I was walking round aldi yesterday when I saw the maple syrup and thought???? what would that be like in say an ipa ?
is it as fermentable as honey ?

i just bought one tonight to try from sainsburys

joseph holts - maple moon

ill let you know how it goes

Not tried myself but I know it is a popular ingredient in the US
I too would love to hear how it turns out.

I put some golden syrup in a coopers wheat beer kit to prime a few bottles and it turned out really well. Had loads of fizz and an after taste with a slight hint of golden syrup. I'd defo do it again.

I had the same thing - maple moon. Not sure whether it was that ale specifically or the flavour of maple, but it's a weird dirty sickly flavour. Maple leaves unfermentables, like malt, so it's a pretty good sugar additive in that sense - less thinning out, but mostly ferments out. There's absolutely no reason you can't use it, chuck it in at the end of the boil to sterilize it.

Give it a blast though, you won't be disappointed. Basically all sugar additions like this - molasses, honey, golden syrup - just add a quick aftertaste, but try it, it might become your "on tap" beer :)

ermmm welll

i will not rush back and buy it again

not as sweet as i thought it might be maybe a bit gassy and bland

but hey thats just me

I made a maple dark. I thought it was the tastiest beer ever gonna brew it again soon.
9 lbs. Domestic 2-Row,
8 oz. Caravienne,
8 oz. Carapils,
12 oz. Chocolate malt,
1 oz. of northern brewer hops,
1 oz. of cascade hops,
20 oz. maple syrup,
s-05 yeast.

Latest posts

Back