Manifold

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Matthews

Reaction score
IMG_20191212_222809.jpg
Hi peeps,

I've just made myself a copper manifold for my kettle which doubles as my mash tun. (Small batch brewing). I have cut some spots into the bottom about a third of the way through. I used the thinnest metal blade I could find in the shed for my angle grinder which has cut slits which seem to be 2.5. - 3mm max. I'm just slightly worried the slits are going to be too wide? I have a hack saw I know will make much thinner slits so I'm just wondering whether I need to cut some more pipe and redo with the hack saw.

I've not brewed before so this is all new to me. My kit is nearly complete now ready for my first brew.

Any advice would be great thank you.

Pictures included.

Attachments

• IMG_20191212_222818_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    IMG_20191212_222818_BURST001_COVER.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 140
If your worried the slits are to wide allowing grain into your boil kettle. On the first run put a fine sieve on the out let or run it through a mesh bag. By the end if your catching a lot of grain then you have your answer

You should vorlauf to start your sparge,tipping the first few litres or so back to the tun to allow the grain bed to settle and filter the rest of the sparge water.

Thanks. Yes I was just worried about it not really running clear. I was planning on the vorlauf anyhow so hopefully the grain bed will settle and filter it. I have a tap so can control the flow. I think I will just give it a go and see if it works okay. What are the downsides if my wort doesn't run clear. Will it ruin the final brew or am I over worrying.

Latest posts

Back