liquid yeast 1st time OOPS

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammitch

Reaction score
I have only used the dry yeast before and yesterday while picking up supplies for a batch of oatmeal stout I was sold White labs liquid bleach. I thought it would save me the time of letting me skip the process of soaking the yeast in lukewarm water while I'm cooking.
I did what I have always done and just dumped the yeast solution into the Primary once the wort had cooled to 75F. Imagine my surprise when I checked my primary this morning and the airlock wasn't bubbling away.
I started investigating and suspect that I screwed the pooch and should have started 3 days ago. OOPS, I need to get some bubbles going ASAP before I end up with some nasty infection.
Can I add Dry yeast to get it going? Will fermentation start at some point?
Next time I will RTFM.
SAMMITCH

I've never pitched a vile of liquid straight into wort but as i believe there is not enough viable yeast cells to start fermentation. To be safe i'd add a pack of dry yeast as soon as possible and read the instructions on the liquid yeast next time :lol: Have a look around the site there's some great information on liquid yeast and how to make a starter ;)
I hope the stout turns out ok for you :cheers:

Don't panic :nono:

I've pitched Whitelabs yeast vials into the fermenter before and have never had a problem - they do take a time to get going maybe 24 hours but if you have sanitised properly then you should be ok.

I've also made starters with the liquid yeast - providing the starter is going well, fermentation in the FV gets going quicker.

I generally don't use them any more though - once the novelty wore off, the price seemed too high - they are quite pricey over here in the UK - I believe you guys get them much cheaper :cool:

I understand that to pitch direct usually means adding fewer than the optimum number of viable cells and there therefore ensues a greater 'lag' time before than desirable fermentation begins. Also this can lead to a longer ferment, but the liklihood is that it'll get there ('there' being a decent FG) so long as your sanitation practices are sound. I usually make up a 1L starter using 1.030 DME a week in advance, then come brewday I pour off the starter medium and add 1L of wort from after 30 mins of the boil (cooled of course) to give the multiplied up yeast a flying start. Add this after you've filled your fermentor. I also re-use the slurry (100ml of thick sludge) startering it with 1L of 30min boiled wort of the new batch. In effect halving the cost of the WL vial. :cool:

I resisted the urge to add more yeast this morning. At just about 20 hours the airlock is bubling away like crazy. I really love watching the little top femmenting yeast working like a lava lamp. Thank you all for your feedback!
SAMMITCH

Latest posts

Back