Leffe Clone recipe vs Brewfather differences

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoo

Reaction score
Hey,
I will be brewing the Malt Miller Leffe Clone recipe soon and I though I would input it into Brewfather to try to get an idea of starting volumes,
however after inputting all the details supplied by MM, the ABV and BTU are very different, will this be down to system efficiency assumptions?

I will be using a PECO EB1B 32l to mash and boil in (the BITB starter kit from Get Er Brewed) which isn't listed on BF so maybe this is the issue?

the MM sheet states:
OG: 1.065
FG: 1.010
ABV: 7%
IBU:25

The BF print out :
1718556586708.png

Also a slightly related separate question, I can only get about 28l per-boil volume safely in the PECO, and to be honest, I wouldn't mind if this was closer to 6% ABV rather than the 7%, with this in mind, how is the best to go about this?

any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated,

Malt Miller doesn't know your efficiencies Brew Father is going by what you have programmed your equipment and efficiencies so that should be right, if what you have entered is correct.
Treat all your water, keep some back so you can boil, and add to the fermenter later it is what most breweries do, you can also keep an eye on your gravity as well.

thanks, that's a good idea. I suppose just adding all the hops & sugar to the first batch will be the same outcome as splitting them over the two, especially given that the 2nd batch will be c. 5l or less?

yer it doesn't have my equipment as an option, so there is likely a mistake on my part on BF also.

If you are new to Brewfather then you have some work to do:
Set up an equipment profile for your boiler using best guesses for now. After you change this it will ask if you want to scale the recipe (no).
Edit the hop entry in the recipe to match the %AA of the actual hops supplied.
There is probably no benefit to a 90 minute mash or boil, reducing the boil to 60 will reduce your water total and make it fit better.
If you are still over the safe boil level then top up late in the boil, but the recipe is probably designed for a 75% mash efficiency and 24l post boil (hot) so your current setup recipe will inevitably be weaker - can either brew shorter or add more fermentables.

Thank you for the tips with Brewfather, I've changed the hops from 4% (BF assigned) to the packet number of 2.7% and it brought the IBU back into the green.
I also appreciate the run through of the brewing logic! it makes more sense now.

Back