last kit wilkos mexican cerveza

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb

Landlord.
Reaction score
just set off a wilkos mexican cerveza which was a xmas present and will be the last kit i do now ive sorted a buffalo boiler to start brewing from grain. enjoying the 1st kit i did at the moment a wherry so hopefully this one doesnt turn out too bad. looks very dark though but from reading a bit they seem to go lighter as fermenting progresses. :cheers:

When I did this kit I though it looked really dark as well, but come out a lot lighter and a good drink too (well swmbo is making light work of it all anyway lol).

Would do this kit again, it's not bad at all for the price

did you brew it short and did you use sugar or dme? ive done it with brewing sugar and to 23l, im thinking i should have maybe brewed short to 20l. will see how it turns out just cant wait now to do my 1st brew from grain.

I used brewing sugar and did it to 23L come out fine for me but would be tempted to brew it sort and use DME next time

ok no worries will see how it turns out i like corona and sol so maybe this may be similar :thumb:

It's more like a sol and a corona, but still I nice drink (I personally prefer corona over sol).
I have done the coopers cerveza (got another coopers cerveza for christmas :thumb: )and that was just a little better IMHO. But I still like the wilko cerveza

Brewed the Wilko Cerveza in early December to 20 pints only, with 500g Wilko brewing sugar. Came out quite dark for a lager, but full bodied and with c. 5% ABV a very good pint. It actually reminds me of Brewferm Gold and/or Grand Cru (wihout the strength).

I got this kit for christmas along with 4 more lol. I looked at review on wilkinson website and a guy saying he recommends the kit with 1kg of bke (what's this?) And 4 zests of lime. Has anyone done this? I assume u put the lime in during fermenting stage or would 2nd fermenting put them in be better

I wouldn't bother with the lime personally ( just add to taste when your ready to drink). Not come across bke and I have read a few books and a lot of the forum.

just had a try of this for the first time, made to 20 litres with the free bag of brewing sugar, dry hopped with 20g of EKG its bloody decent for a tenner.I can't really detect much hop aroma. its cleared very well and pours with a bright white head.
I tried it at room temp from the cornie which I filled on 22-12-12, gassed up to 20psi, its very drinkable, if its chilled and a wee slice of lime in it, it will be tremendous. you can tell its a kit brew but it doesn't have the twang that a coopers kit has, it tastes a tad wattery but its not unpleasant,probably one of the best kit brews I've done to be honest, this will be nice in the kegerator chilled and won't last very long. It kicks the coopers mexican cerveza square in the nuts IMO!

Sorry I mean how long was it carbonating at 20 psi as some do a week and some afew days. I've been doin some brews for a week at 30 psi and they are way over carbonated

neddy said:
Sorry I mean how long was it carbonating at 20 psi as some do a week and some afew days. I've been doin some brews for a week at 30 psi and they are way over carbonated

yeah its been sitting at 20 psi since 22/12 mate. I carb all my brews at 20psi, it seems like a good carbonation levels no matter what beer I brew!

Cheers mate. When serving do u have psi at next to nothing or leave at 20 psi with no gas connected

neddy said:
Cheers mate. When serving do u have psi at next to nothing or leave at 20 psi with no gas connected
I purge most of the c02 from the release valve otherwise id get a pint of head!, give it a good few lifts up to release a bit of the c02 then try pouring, if its still coming out the tap too fast just let more co2 out until you can pour a decent pint, otherwise u can purge it all out then just set ur reg to 5 psi to pour,

I think I might try this and the coopers next week.
I've got two FBs so I'll do them both the same and compare.
They should keep and improve by the spring??

Latest posts

Back