last kit wilkos mexican cerveza

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah never give that a thought about beer enhancer. I've just got my coopers cerveza started last night in fv fridge and then when its done ill do the wilko one and see how they compare. I'm just using the brewing sugar on both so easier to compare but ill do the wilko one at 20l like others are saying

Started this kit off eight days ago.
It's been at a constant 18-22c
Started off with a bit of foam but that died back after a few days but plenty off bubbles for a few days after.
Checked it today and its very cloudy and the hydrometer went from being 1014 to 1030 after about 5-10 seconds.
OG was 1042 and it tastes "ok."
Is it stuck or shall I just forget about it for another week?
The coopers draught I bottled the previous week was crystal clear after a week.
KC :pray:

I'd do another SG test to be sure. make sure that the hydrometer isn't touching the walls of the trial jar. If the test again shows 1.030 then i'd be inclined to give the brew a gentle stir to ensure that the yeast are back in suspension (no splashing) and double check room temps (like you said 18-21C)

Check the SG in 3 or 4 days. Hopefully it'll have started to drop.

LeedsBrewer said:
I'd do another SG test to be sure. make sure that the hydrometer isn't touching the walls of the trial jar. If the test again shows 1.030 then i'd be inclined to give the brew a gentle stir to ensure that the yeast are back in suspension (no splashing) and double check room temps (like you said 18-21C)

Room temp is right, I keep a thermometer in the under stairs cupboard (I suppose that's only relevant if you know that's where the beer is!!! :P .)
Rechecked the gravity, same again drops and then rises after a few seconds 1030ish.
Checked the hydrometer in water and it sits at about 1005.
Really cloudy???
Just tasted it again and it tastes fine, no funny off tastes.

maingaffer said:
bke probably means the beer kit enhancer they sell in wilkinsons

yes that's right.

"Beer Kit Enhancer is a mixture of Dextrose and Spray Malt and is used as a direct replacement for sugar to add extra body, richer flavour and give better head retention to kit beers."

Better still just use 100% malt, spray or liquid.

This is why two tin kits have two tins rather than the ones with a single tin where you add sugar -> more malt = closer to the real thing (belgian beers excepted).

LeedsBrewer said:

Will the cloudiness clear with a spell in the cold, or am i mixing various stories into one?

yeah, once I've reached FG and it's been constant for 3 days I then stick my FV in the garage for 3 or 4 days. This clears the beer and then i bottle. :thumb:

LeedsBrewer said:
yeah, once I've reached FG and it's been constant for 3 days I then stick my FV in the garage for 3 or 4 days. This clears the beer and then i bottle. :thumb:
Will it not clear in the bottle or will this just lead to more sediment?

It will clear in the bottle but the sediment will be left in the bottle. I prefer to have as little sediment as possible so by cold crashing the fv you end up leaving a lot of the sediment in the fv. The bottles will throw a sediment from the priming sugar but it wont be as much.

LeedsBrewer said:
It will clear in the bottle but the sediment will be left in the bottle. I prefer to have as little sediment as possible so by cold crashing the fv you end up leaving a lot of the sediment in the fv. The bottles will throw a sediment from the priming sugar but it wont be as much.
What temp would you recommend, as i have two options -the coldest part of the house about 15c or outside presently -5c!!

Of the two i'd probably go for coldest part of the house. 3 or 4 days at that temp should send most of the yeasties to sleep.

LeedsBrewer said:
Of the two i'd probably go for coldest part of the house. 3 or 4 days at that temp should send most of the yeasties to sleep.
Nice one, im going to give it a few more days, i'll check the gravity again on friday and satuday to see if its dropped any further and if so i will stick it on the tiled bathroom floor and leave the window open.
cheers :cheers:
KC :thumb:

Kinleycat said:
LeedsBrewer said:
Nice one, im going to give it a few more days, i'll check the gravity again on friday and satuday to see if its dropped any further and if so i will stick it on the tiled bathroom floor and leave the window open.
cheers :cheers:
Dropped to 1014 in two days, so despite the temp being a little low it's heading in the right direction.
I'll check it again Sunday and if its low enough I'll transfer it into a bottling bucket.
:thumb:

Planning to transfer this kit to a bottling barrel.
Can I add sugar now, leave for a week (?) and then bottle?
If so do I then need to add sugar to the bottles again/less amount?

What do you mean by bottling barrel? Are you using a barrel to bottle them all? or using a barrel and then wanting to bottle just a few of them?

If you're batch priming and bottling then you want to work out how much sugar you need for all of the bottles (6g per litre seems to be the standard for ales, though i usually do about 2.5g/L)

Boil the sugar in a little bit of water for 10-15mins (I do this to sterilise the sugar though many people miss this step out) Cool it a little and add it to your sanitised bottling bucket.

Siphon your beer onto the sugar water with minimal splashing.

Then bottle. I wouldn't leave it any amount of time between priming and bottling.

If you're using a plastic barrel to store your beer then someone else will have to give you some advice as i only use bottles.

LeedsBrewer said:
What do you mean by bottling barrel? Are you using a barrel to bottle them all? or using a barrel and then wanting to bottle just a few of them?

If you're batch priming and bottling then you want to work out how much sugar you need for all of the bottles (6g per litre seems to be the standard for ales, though i usually do about 2.5g/L)

Boil the sugar in a little bit of water for 10-15mins (I do this to sterilise the sugar though many people miss this step out) Cool it a little and add it to your sanitised bottling bucket.

Siphon your beer onto the sugar water with minimal splashing.

Then bottle. I wouldn't leave it any amount of time between priming and bottling.

If you're using a plastic barrel to store your beer then someone else will have to give you some advice as i only use bottles.
Syphoned from a fermenting bucket last time (with the obvious spillages) so I bought another bucket - this time with a tap and little bottler.
So I plan to bottle straight from that and hopefully clear out a bit of the sediment during (both) transferral.
I wasn't sure if I could add sugar and leave it for a day or two (or longer) hoping that the gravity would drop a bit further (it's currently 1012 (from 1042)) or wether it would need bottling straight away (ish,) and wether it would still need further priming for the bottle.

as long as the fermentation has stopped (3 days with no change in SG) and it's under 1.014 then i just bottle them. I wouldn't bother waiting any longer. Most of my kits have stopped at around the 1.012 mark

Latest posts

Back