Kegs and gas

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to be a little different, in 3 kegs so far I have set and forget at 12psi and left it for 2 weeks though I reckon 1 week would be enough. I keep my kegs in a cool garage which is a nice serving temperature, at this time of year at least. However for convenience I do a closed transfer to a stainless 5 litre mini keg and put that in the house fridge, this uses a 16Oz CO2 bottle and I have a flow control tap on it which gives seems to work quite well.

My 3/16 line came through today. How on earth do you get it over the barb of the tap/faucet? Do I need a fitting to open up to 5/16 for a short run? I've tried warming up in hot water and though it softens there is no way its getting over the tap barb. Thanks.
You need to use adapters. John Guest fittings are so simple to use. You need to convert down to 3/16" and back up to 3/8" again, so you will need two adapters per beer line.

These are they - John Guest Speedfit 3/8 to 3/16 inline reducer

My 3/16 line came through today. How on earth do you get it over the barb of the tap/faucet? Do I need a fitting to open up to 5/16 for a short run? I've tried warming up in hot water and though it softens there is no way its getting over the tap barb. Thanks.
Short answer is you need a reducer to convert the 3/16" up to the size of tap connector.

If your barb really is 5/16" (as opposed to the more common 3/8") and you must keep the barb then you'll need to get a 5/16" to 3/16" reducer. Part number PI201006S.

If your barb can be unscrewed from the shank then the neatest solution is to replace the barb with a screw-in JG adapter (e.g. this one or this one depending on size) then push in a 3/8" to 3/16" stem reducer (part number PI061206S) then you won't have a short run of 5/16" pipe cluttering up your system.

Thanks, but 3/8 is too loose on the faucet. I could really do with a 5/16 to 3/16 reducer, but can't seem to find one. I'll have to go from 3/16 to 3/8 then back down to 5/16. I've already got some 3/8 to 5/16 fittings.

There are John Guest inline reducers that will allow you to connect 3/16 line to 1/4 shanks.

Latest posts

Back