Keeping wine at a suitable temp.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi there wondering if u can advise.
A new grandson has arrived and thus the cupboard under stairs where i store my wine is required.
I am getting a new wooden garden shed.
Would building a container to hold my wine racks insulated with polysterene be suitable to maintain wine at a safe temp or not.
Look forward to replies ty.

My own shed is like an oven in summer and a fridge in winter which is why I do my brewing in the garage; but it could be used to store wine.

However, I wouldn't attempt to build and insulate a container because doing it properly is very difficult. I would use a large upright freezer cabinet instead as it would prevent the wild swings of temperature that can occur in a shed.

If the freezer actually worked that would be a bonus (and the temperature could be controlled with an Inkbird and a Heater as per the photograph) but to store wine I don't consider that aspect to be essential.

Good luck with the grandson and make sure that you leave room in the shed for a comfortable chair! Mine never gets so hot or so cold that I couldn't sit in there with a glass of wine if needed. :whistle: :whistle:

Brew Fridge.jpg

If the freezer actually worked that would be a bonus (and the temperature could be controlled with an Inkbird and a Heater as per the photograph) but to store wine I don't consider that aspect to be essential.

I ran this idea past a fridge engineer friend of mine last year, his thoughts where that it would be better to use a fridge rather than a freezer due to freezer compressor operating temps being a lot lower than those on a fridge motor, he reckoned that allthough it would work the motor would be put under more strain due to the gasses involved being outside there design spec.

I ran this idea past a fridge engineer friend of mine last year, his thoughts where that it would be better to use a fridge rather than a freezer due to freezer compressor operating temps being a lot lower than those on a fridge motor, he reckoned that allthough it would work the motor would be put under more strain due to the gasses involved being outside there design spec.

Your original Post was:

"Would building a container to hold my wine racks insulated with
polystyrene be suitable to maintain wine at a safe temp or not."

Of course it would be "suitable" but building one that actually works is a lot of work compared to finding an upright freezer cabinet.

You made no mention of cooling the wine in the cabinet, just keeping the wine at a "safe temperature" so I suggested an upright (to minimise the footprint) freezer as an alternative to your original plan of building an insulated cabinet.

A freezer has a high level of insulation built in (as opposed to a refrigerator), has airtight seals on the door to minimise the ingress of warm air and will level out the temperatures in your shed.

I pointed out that if the freezer worked it would be a bonus because the temperature could then be controlled; and freezer compressors are designed to operate with an inlet temperature from ambient all the way down to about -44 degrees.

Of course, if you do wish to chill the wine, then a large upright refrigerator would be much better and here's one that you might consider ...

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/househ...PLA=1&ef_id=V65ImAAABSgWu53n:20160812220720:s

... at £179.99 it's an absolute snip, but still much more than I would ever consider paying if I could lay my hands on an old upright freezer cabinet! :thumb:

Depending on where you live in the UK, with a fridge you may need to install a heater for the winter because, with less insulation than a freezer, the wine may freeze.

Hi there wondering if u can advise.
A new grandson has arrived and thus the cupboard under stairs where i store my wine is required.
I am getting a new wooden garden shed.
Would building a container to hold my wine racks insulated with polysterene be suitable to maintain wine at a safe temp or not.
Look forward to replies ty.

The recommended wine storage temp is between 8-12c in darkness, with wildly fluctuating temps in the UK between summer and winter you will need heating and cooling within whatever you construct. Depending on the size and space you need per your production and consumption a brew fridge ticks all the boxes. For me if space and money weren't a problem i would look to a walk in secondhand cold room or build one from scratch as it elimanates the need for heating alltogether.

The recommended wine storage temp is between 8-12c in darkness, with wildly fluctuating temps in the UK between summer and winter you will need heating and cooling within whatever you construct. Depending on the size and space you need per your production and consumption a brew fridge ticks all the boxes. For me if space and money weren't a problem i would look to a walk in secondhand cold room or build one from scratch as it elimanates the need for heating alltogether.

Agreed, but the original Post asked to keep the wine "safe" and a freezer cabinet would do that by ironing out the wild temperature fluctuations that can occur in the UK. :thumb:

Personally, if I had the time, money and energy I would dig a cellar under the house ... :whistle:

...and if I just had the money I would buy two of these! (One for the white and rosé wines and one for the reds!) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/househ...PLA=1&ef_id=V682rwAAATJgGB7A:20160813150311:s

But, daft as it sounds, in a shed in Scotland they still wouldn't be adequate if there was a prolonged frost! :doh:

Latest posts

Back