Keeping beer cool.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otuatail

Reaction score
I struggle to keep my fermentation below 18c. having seen the effort 31bb3 went to to steam clean his bottles, I was wondering could I get the cooling mechanism out of an old fridge and make a box to keep the ambient temperature down? Has anyone experimented with this? :geek: :hmm:

The problem with that is the barrel will not fit in a fridge due to it's awkward design of plastic molded shelves. A small wooden crate lined with fiberglass for insulation might do the trick. It would be better if I could get a small fridge suitable though.

otuatail said:
Forgot to ask what would be a minimum temperature? :hmm:

For fermentation?

It very much depends upon the choice of yeast, the style of beer and the characteristics of the beer you are trying to emphasise - and whether we are talking about primary or secondary fermentation.

Hi I need this for the final stage in the pressure barrel. I can't get it to clear and it would also be good to have cool beer. How do I get to

"Check out wez's blog he built a temp controller its quite intriguing"

Add finings.

Gelatin, isinglass or even egg white.

Can you put your barrel in the fridge? No problem about keeping or serving beer cool. For lagers, 6 degrees is fine. For ales, 12 degrees is ideal (cellar normal)

Check out wez's blog he built a temp controller its quite intriguing

Yes I found it. Totally over the top for me. I might make a wooden box with the bits attached. I am surprised that Wez didn't go the whole way. He could have put a pipe out and a nice hand pump on the outside, or is that going to be version 2.

Latest posts

Back