Just got started with my first home brew and have some questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not convinced an airlock is necessary, unless you are using a glass fermenter with an airtight seal. But I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise.

I found my airlocks to be a nuisance. Apart from restricting the spaces you can store the fv when in use if you have to move it the weight of the contents pulls in the sides when you lift which sucks the bubbler water into the wort. Some brewers find the noise irritating too.
It was a relief to realize that in my case they were redundant because my fv lids aren't tight enough to stop the CO2 from escaping so I stopped using them and just place a folded damp flannel over the holes.
I also pull a bin bag over the fv and tie it around the sides but I doubt if that's necessary.
HBF member MyQul suggests using clingfilm so that you don't need to pop the lid off to check on the brew.

I've recently stopped bothering with an airlock - decided its just something else to have to clean/sterilise !

The fermentation buckets I use can be purchased with a holed lid or a solid lid - you can also buy the lids seperately so I have replaced my holed (with grommet) lids with solid (no holes) lids. Nowt special really but cheap enough (£7.95 with a lid) and do the job:
http://www.home-brew-online.com/equipment-c40/fermenting-vessel-25-ltr-lid-no-grommet-p690

The lids bulge up a bit so you know summats happening but don't get blown off or anything - the CO2 seems to escape ok - can't see how any nasties can get in to the beer.

I've read Aussie brewing forums and a lot of them have taken to using gladwrap - cling film - instead of a lid. You can see what's going on, the beer is protected, and gas escapes, apparently...

Back