Just bottled my oatmeal stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cheers: Yeah its potent. But it should have great mouth feel and flavor. I put some molasses in it and an extra cup of oats in. Can't wait to try it. 6 weeks is going to be excruciating. I tried my Blueberry pilsner last night it conditioning really well another week of 2 and it'll be great.

What was you recipe? A lot of us have recently done Oatmeal stout. I did one back in october which had a og of about 1070 and I added the juice from 1lb of elderberries per gallon in the primary. Tasted mighty fine.

Cheers

AG

I'm still a partial mash/extract brewer but some might still want to see it. oh and I'm from the other side of the pond from most of you. so lbs and oz. oh and farenheit :wha:

6lbs Dark LME
24oz Rolled oats
4oz chocolate malt
4oz roasted barley
12 oz dark molasses unsulfured
1oz fuggle hops
dry safale 04

I steeped the grains in a muslin bag for 25 min at 155f added the lme boiled 5 min added hops boiled 45min added molasses boiled 10 min cooled and into fermentor

I'll keep that in mind. Oatmeal stout is one of my favs. So I'll be doing another soon. I'm gonna take my first stab at AG next. The wife and I decided on a pumpkin amber ale. I've done alot of research and I have the EQ to do a single temp infusion.

Dark beers are best for your first AG as you don't need top worry about clarity. Oh one other point if you do an oatmeal as an AG you need to do a glucan rest basically you mash the Oatmeal with about 20% by weight of Pale malt for 15 mins at 35-40 deg C (sorry Centigrade) then add it all to the main mash. The advantage is that it breaks up the glucan avoiding porridge and a stuck mash (which I had) and gives the beer more head.

Good luck

mmmm oatmeal stout :cool: my next brew is gonna be an oatmeal stout, i`ve 40litres of hefeweisen fermenting in the kitchen - dare I brew this weekend? What would SHE say to three FVs in the kitchen :lol:

Darkbrewer said:
awesome. I'm thinking something more simple for my first. I was gonna go with a Pumpkin amber

What is a pumpkin amber? Is the pumpkin bit the brewery?

rickthebrew said:
mmmm oatmeal stout :cool: my next brew is gonna be an oatmeal stout,
Darkbrewer said:
awesome. I'm thinking something more simple for my first. I was gonna go with a Pumpkin amber
What is a pumpkin amber? Is the pumpkin bit the brewery?
It's an Amber beer with some roasted chopped up pumpkin flesh added to the mash tun :hmm:

Must admit I'm thinking of an Oatmeal stout but a few more beers to do first

Aleman is dot on. It's a Amber ale with Pumpkin in the boil. I'm so stoked to do my first AG. It's looking like Sun. is gonna be brew day.

Thanks for the link. :wha: Depending on how this turns out I may get a giant pumpkin next year and give this a go. It looks crazy enough to be fun.

Just tasted a bottle. Its awesome. Unbelievable. Although I have almost no head on it. I'm not terribly worried about it cause flavor is more important then a pretty pour. But any advice for future head retention?

Back