John Bull IPA kit, twocan or not twocan?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeyptfc

Landlord.
Reaction score
yo folks
bought 2 of the above kits cheapish from tesco outlet on ebay, i was planning on firing them into the old corny next, I was just wondering if anyone has done this kit before, if they would advise to twocan brew or not?
ive read a few reviews on the John Bull cider and a few folk have commented they turn out watery, so I was thinking if i double up and short brew to around 20Ltrs, it might be quite a brew.
I've brewed some milestones kits which come with 2 cans but just wondering if anyone thought it would be cool to put 2 of the same kit into one brew? if anyones interested ill keep some notes and report back, it must improve the flavour if you have double the amount of malt extract in! would i still need to add a kilo of sugar if im adding 2 cans?

cheers
the abester :cheers:
p.s. the cornys are amazin! still not 100% on the gas/psi levels and technique but it pours a better pint after 8 days in the keg that bottles ive had out in the garage for 5 months.

I thought John Bull had gone under and you couldn't get their tins anymore?

Think of it this way. They are designed to be 1 can plus sugar. So your can contains malt extract plus bittering agents, maybe from the wort being boiled with hops, maybe from added hop extract. Either way that's pretty much all the can is.

So if you use two cans you will get a final beer which has a better body than 1 can + sugar, but is twice as bitter! So what is the solution? 1 can of John Bull IPA and 1 can of unhppped liquid malt extract OR 1 - 1.5 kilo of unhopped dried malt extract.

The watery flavour some people would have reported is the result of using sugar over malt extract. Make no mistake about that. Sugar keeps the alcohol content high while lightening the body.

Don't make the mistake I once did of using hopped dried extract with a can, the final beer was very bitter.

Having said this, modern IPA is not as hoppy as traditional IPA, so maybe using two cans will give you an authentic IPA?

ChrisG said:
I thought John Bull had gone under and you couldn't get their tins anymore?

Tesco's are still selling them.

I have just done the IPA with household sugar and it is lovely, although bitter. I have bottled some of it in Green King IPA bottles and my mate didn't realize it was home brew, which I think is a complement!!

I have bottled some of it in Green King IPA bottles and my mate didn't realize it was home brew, which I think is a complement!!
Sounds good. I would still thoughrally recommend using malt extract over sugar, and actually advocate the use the speciality grains and hops in your own recopies over cans. Also, I had a pint of Green King IPA last night and the only lasting impression I have is 'who added a tonne of water to my IPA?'

I would say you shouldn't be trying to hit the commercial stuff, but make a beer which makes you go wow. So far I think the best beer I have EVER had is my Dead Man's Coffee - Irish Coffee Stout.

i brew john bulls ipa alot and have made a batch with 2 cans over xmas, i must say i think the one can brews are alot better! so id just do that and make twice as much!! try the john bull brown ale too its really nice and cheap!! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back