January Brew Review Thread - Rye IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next up is Stu's Brews Knight Ryeder. Opened with a subtle hiss. On pour, the first thing to hit me was the citrus hops. I think I also pick up stone fruit in there? The aroma definitely carries through to the taste and it's here that the rye malts come through. There is a definite spice to it; peppery almost and the beer has a lovely dry finish that lingers. The beer is copper coloured with good clarity. The small head is well retained while drinking. The beer has a nice light body and is well carbonated.

A cracking beer - I would love to be drinking this outside on a sunny summer's day.
PXL_20230307_193624466.jpg

Next up is Stu's Brews Knight Ryeder. Opened with a subtle hiss. On pour, the first thing to hit me was the citrus hops. I think I also pick up stone fruit in there? The aroma definitely carries through to the taste and it's here that the rye malts come through. There is a definite spice to it; peppery almost and the beer has a lovely dry finish that lingers. The beer is copper coloured with good clarity. The small head is well retained while drinking. The beer has a nice light body and is well carbonated.

A cracking beer - I would love to be drinking this outside on a sunny summer's day.View attachment 82781

Glad you enjoyed it! I suspect the stone fruit notes you are picking up are from the Mosaic and Azacca which were what I heavily lent on for the whirlpool / dry hop additions.

I'll share the full recipe over the next couple of days.

As promised, here is the recipe for a 20L batch of my Rye IPA 'Knight Ryeder':

Malts
  • Crisp Best Ale: 4.5kg (75%)
  • Crisp Rye: 900g (15%)
  • Crisp Vienna: 360g (6%)
  • Crisp Cara: 240g (4%)
Hops

Boil:
  • Magnum: 15g @ 60 mins (16 IBUs)
  • Simcoe: 15g @ 30 mins (16 IBUs)
  • Simcoe: 20g @ 10 mins (13 IBUs)
Hop Stand (20mins at 80degC, adds approx. 15 IBUs)
  • Simcoe: 30g
  • Mosaic: 50g
  • Azacca: 50g
Dry Hop (added post-fermentation at 12degC, for 24 hours before cold crashing for 3 days)
  • Simcoe: 45g
  • Mosaic: 75g
  • Azacca: 75g
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 American Ale, pitched at 1million cells/ml

Water
19.5L mash, 11.5L sparge
~300ppm Sulphate : 100ppm Chloride
Treated with AMS/CRS to achieve a mash pH of ~5.3

Mash Steps
  1. Protein Rest: 20mins at 45degC
  2. Saccharification Rest: 60mins at 65degC
  3. Mash Out: 10mins at 75degC
Note: I didn't add any rice hulls or similar to avoid a stuck mash. I got away with it but it was re-circulating much slower than normally so I would probably use next time.

Boil
Boiled for 60 minutes; adding the first hop addition after the hot break has formed and dropped back into the wort.

Fermentation
  1. Adaptation Phase: 16degC for 1 day
  2. Primary Fermentation: 18degC for 3days
  3. Diacetyl Rest: 21degC for 3days
  4. Dry Hop: 12degC for 1day
  5. Cold Crash: <6degC for 3days
Finings
  • Protofloc, added 10 minutes before end of boil
  • NBS Clarity, added at yeast pitching
  • NBS Brausol, added after cold crashing to <6degC
Key Stats
  • OG: 1.059
  • FG: 1.012
  • ABV: 6.3%
  • IBU: 60
  • EBC: 15
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also attached a copy of my scoresheets from the UK Nationals as it might be useful for @Alastair70, @Hazelwood Brewery and @Mayor of Simpleton to compare their comments against.

As mentioned previously, a lot of the comments were closely aligned to the judges. The main one being that the hop flavour needs to come through a bit more so that is what I'll be focusing on next time. Tentative plan is to start adding some Mosaic and Azacca towards the end of the boil and upping the amounts used in the hop stand and dry hop. No current plans to change anything else, although I'd like it to drop a bit clearer so may use a bit more NBS Brausol.

Attachments

• UK National Homebrew - Rye IPA - 000025.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 0
As promised, here is the recipe for a 20L batch of my Rye IPA 'Knight Ryeder':

Malts
  • Crisp Best Ale: 4.5kg (75%)
  • Crisp Rye: 900g (15%)
  • Crisp Vienna: 360g (6%)
  • Crisp Cara: 240g (4%)
Hops

Boil:
  • Magnum: 15g @ 60 mins (16 IBUs)
  • Simcoe: 15g @ 30 mins (16 IBUs)
  • Simcoe: 20g @ 10 mins (13 IBUs)
Hop Stand (20mins at 80degC, adds approx. 15 IBUs)
  • Simcoe: 30g
  • Mosaic: 50g
  • Azacca: 50g
Dry Hop (added post-fermentation at 12degC, for 24 hours before cold crashing for 3 days)
  • Simcoe: 45g
  • Mosaic: 75g
  • Azacca: 75g
Yeast
Wyeast 1056 American Ale, pitched at 1million cells/ml

Water
19.5L mash, 11.5L sparge
~300ppm Sulphate : 100ppm Chloride
Treated with AMS/CRS to achieve a mash pH of ~5.3

Mash Steps
  1. Protein Rest: 20mins at 45degC
  2. Saccharification Rest: 60mins at 65degC
  3. Mash Out: 10mins at 75degC
Note: I didn't add any rice hulls or similar to avoid a stuck mash. I got away with it but it was re-circulating much slower than normally so I would probably use next time.

Boil
Boiled for 60 minutes; adding the first hop addition after the hot break has formed and dropped back into the wort.

Fermentation
  1. Adaptation Phase: 16degC for 1 day
  2. Primary Fermentation: 18degC for 3days
  3. Diacetyl Rest: 21degC for 3days
  4. Dry Hop: 12degC for 1day
  5. Cold Crash: <6degC for 3days
Finings
  • Protofloc, added 10 minutes before end of boil
  • NBS Clarity, added at yeast pitching
  • NBS Brausol, added after cold crashing to <6degC
Key Stats
  • OG: 1.059
  • FG: 1.012
  • ABV: 6.3%
  • IBU: 60
  • EBC: 15
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've also attached a copy of my scoresheets from the UK Nationals as it might be useful for @Alastair70, @Hazelwood Brewery and @Mayor of Simpleton to compare their comments against.

As mentioned previously, a lot of the comments were closely aligned to the judges. The main one being that the hop flavour needs to come through a bit more so that is what I'll be focusing on next time. Tentative plan is to start adding some Mosaic and Azacca towards the end of the boil and upping the amounts used in the hop stand and dry hop. No current plans to change anything else, although I'd like it to drop a bit clearer so may use a bit more NBS Brausol.
Brilliant, and thanks Stu. It’s really informative to see a judging sheet for a beer that you’ve had a chance to taste yourself. And congrats on hitting 40 points in a national comp👋👏. That’s something I have still to achieve.

Brilliant, and thanks Stu. It’s really informative to see a judging sheet for a beer that you’ve had a chance to taste yourself. And congrats on hitting 40 points in a national comp👋👏. That’s something I have still to achieve.

Thanks Alastair. You seem to be getting very close so hopefully it won't be long until you do!

I've been delaying my last two reviews as I've been battling a cold that had muted my sense of taste and smell. That has now passed though so it's time to crack on with some Rye IPAs, starting with this from @Nottsbeer.

IMG20230312195825.jpg

The beer is a lovely copper, red colour with a decent white head that retains well. Some light haze but mostly clear.

The aroma is predominantly citrus with some caramel notes. The citrus and caramel carry through on tasting along with some subtle spice character from the rye. The rye character is possibly a bit low for the style but it doesn't detract from the quality of the beer itself.

It's medium bodied, relatively lightly carbonated with moderate bitterness. All well balanced though to make this a very easy drinking beer given its 6.3%.

There is a slight minty after taste from the Northern Brewer hops, which is perhaps slightly out of place but it's a minor complaint for sure.

Overall, it's a very well brewed beer and I'm thoroughly enjoying drinking it.

I've been delaying my last two reviews as I've been battling a cold that had muted my sense of taste and smell. That has now passed though so it's time to crack on with some Rye IPAs, starting with this from @Nottsbeer.

View attachment 83010

The beer is a lovely copper, red colour with a decent white head that retains well. Some light haze but mostly clear.

The aroma is predominantly citrus with some caramel notes. The citrus and caramel carry through on tasting along with some subtle spice character from the rye. The rye character is possibly a bit low for the style but it doesn't detract from the quality of the beer itself.

It's medium bodied, relatively lightly carbonated with moderate bitterness. All well balanced though to make this a very easy drinking beer given its 6.3%.

There is a slight minty after taste from the Northern Brewer hops, which is perhaps slightly out of place but it's a minor complaint for sure.

Overall, it's a very well brewed beer and I'm thoroughly enjoying drinking it.
Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the feedback. 👍👍

Thanks @Stu's Brews @Hazelwood Brewery and @Alastair70 for your reviews of my Rye IPA. Here is my recipe: 12.5l BIAB no sparge

2.6kg M.O.
0.87 kg Rye malt
0.3kg Biscuit Malt

N. Brewer 24g @60
N. Brewer 37g @10
Citra 25g @ 80oC for 20 mins
Citra 25g day 5 dry hop.

Yeast US-05. Mashed @68oC for 60 mins and then at 72oC for 10 mins

I decided to go for the higher side of Rye (23% of the grain bill) so I was slightly surprised by your comment Stu about the rye character being a bit low for the style. Do you think my hop choices hid some of the character?

This was the first time I had made or tasted a rye beer....and I loved it!! Definitely one of my best brews and id happily order a pint next time I see this style on offer in a pub. All the beers I had in swap were great, and each one having lovely differences.

I am planning to brew this again for the Hop Idol comp in Nottingham. On my second version I think I'll change the bitterness hop (any suggestions?) and I think I would also increase the dry hop volume (personal preference as I love this hop, though maybe that would overpower the Rye flavour?). This was an excellent swap, thanks all for partaking, and to Alastair for doing the admin👍

Thanks @Stu's Brews @Hazelwood Brewery and @Alastair70 for your reviews of my Rye IPA. Here is my recipe: 12.5l BIAB no sparge

2.6kg M.O.
0.87 kg Rye malt
0.3kg Biscuit Malt

N. Brewer 24g @60
N. Brewer 37g @10
Citra 25g @ 80oC for 20 mins
Citra 25g day 5 dry hop.

Yeast US-05. Mashed @68oC for 60 mins and then at 72oC for 10 mins

I decided to go for the higher side of Rye (23% of the grain bill) so I was slightly surprised by your comment Stu about the rye character being a bit low for the style. Do you think my hop choices hid some of the character?

This was the first time I had made or tasted a rye beer....and I loved it!! Definitely one of my best brews and id happily order a pint next time I see this style on offer in a pub. All the beers I had in swap were great, and each one having lovely differences.

I am planning to brew this again for the Hop Idol comp in Nottingham. On my second version I think I'll change the bitterness hop (any suggestions?) and I think I would also increase the dry hop volume (personal preference as I love this hop, though maybe that would overpower the Rye flavour?). This was an excellent swap, thanks all for partaking, and to Alastair for doing the admin👍

I must admit I wasn't expecting that quantity of Rye to be in the recipe. Don't get me wrong, there was some Rye character there but not as much as I expected or 23% of the malt bill would suggest. Either my taste buds haven't recovered as much as I thought or something else was muting the character (at least in comparison to my version).

Struggling to think what it would be though. I don't think the Citra is over-powering it. Could be an interaction with the other malts (or maybe an interaction you didn't get but I did through using some Vienna and Caramalt).

Did you definitely use Rye and not Crystal Rye? There was a decent caramel character in the beer so I was actually expecting to see a Crystal malt in the recipe.

The other thing I noticed was that your mash temperature is also higher than what I used so I wonder if that has had an influence.

Of course, that was just my personal perception so might be worth checking what @Alastair70 and @Hazelwood Brewery impressions were as they may have been different.

In terms of bittering hops, perhaps try something like Magnum for a clean bitterness at 60mins and Simcoe or Chinook for some piney resinous character at 10mins?

I must admit I wasn't expecting that quantity of Rye to be in the recipe. Don't get me wrong, there was some Rye character there but not as much as I expected or 23% of the malt bill would suggest. Either my taste buds haven't recovered as much as I thought or something else was muting the character (at least in comparison to my version).

Struggling to think what it would be though. I don't think the Citra is over-powering it. Could be an interaction with the other malts (or maybe an interaction you didn't get but I did through using some Vienna and Caramalt).

Did you definitely use Rye and not Crystal Rye? There was a decent caramel character in the beer so I was actually expecting to see a Crystal malt in the recipe.

The other thing I noticed was that your mash temperature is also higher than what I used so I wonder if that has had an influence.

Of course, that was just my personal perception so might be worth checking what @Alastair70 and @Hazelwood Brewery impressions were as they may have been different.

In terms of bittering hops, perhaps try something like Magnum for a clean bitterness at 60mins and Simcoe or Chinook for some piney resinous character at 10mins?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, definitely used Rye Malt and not crystal Rye. I did think my beer was more "spicy" compared to the others I tried, which I had put down to the rye. Will play with the mash temp next time as well. Many thanks for the tips on other hops to consider. Will have a think before brewing this again. Cheers 🍻🍻

Thanks for your reply. Yes, definitely used Rye Malt and not crystal Rye. I did think my beer was more "spicy" compared to the others I tried, which I had put down to the rye. Will play with the mash temp next time as well. Many thanks for the tips on other hops to consider. Will have a think before brewing this again. Cheers 🍻🍻

It may very well be that I was still not tasting things thoroughly so I wouldn't read too much into it if you and others felt the spice character was more pronounced. Overall it was a very well balanced beer so I wouldn't make drastic changes to the recipe.

Settling down for this week's Beer School lesson so I thought it would be a good time to sample @SMP Brewery's 'Rye of the Tiger'.

Pours a deep red/copper colour, that is fairly hazy with a light white head that drops back fairly quickly but does leave some good lacing on the glass.

There's some caramel and spice aroma from the malt, with a little background fruitiness from the hops.

Good amount of spice in the flavour, with some of the caramel also carrying through. Not a huge amount of hop character on the flavour, definitely more malt forward.

Bitterness is quite pronounced, but well balanced and the carbonation is spot on.

Definitely, picking up a few similarities with my beer. I suspect we may have another Mosaic or Azacca hopped beer here. Overall, it's a very well executed beer that probably only needs a bit more hop character to elevate it.

IMG20230313193319.jpg

Last edited:

I just looked back to my own tasting (post#11) to remind myself. I noted there was not much Rye aroma but that the Rye flavour was quite punchy.

Firstly, apologies for the lateness of my review @Hazelwood Brewery. Rest assured your beer has been stored at 11C prior to drinking. On pour this had a lovely fresh, clean aroma with pine/citrus hops coming through? There is a subtle bready malt flavour that lingers with a nice pepperiness (is that a word?) to it. The pine/citrus notes carry through to the flavour and are well balanced with the malt. There is a nice dry finish to the taste that lingers. It is quite light bodied considering the ABV and it is well carbonaed The light white head is well retained while drinking. Very very nice, can I have another please?
PXL_20230330_204502566.jpg

@Hazelwood Brewery

Not much head on this. Lovely floral hop, not too bitter, very clear, can’t taste much rye character in this, quite alcoholic.

95330004-FDD9-4748-9D07-A96E8115FAE9.jpeg

@Alastair70

Nice hisss, good head, murky like mine with little aroma. Same bitterness, with a slight sweetness to it. Much more rye flavour in this one, head lasted to the end.

92E8DD4E-6557-4C2F-BE54-C7D01B1D4407.jpeg

@Mayor of Simpleton

Not much head, murky(probably more than mine), sweet n malty. Yes marmalade wouldn’t have picked it out but as you mentioned it, it’s there, fullish mouth feel. Plus something else. Still get a head with a bit of a swirl.

0E1A4727-6592-4B2F-96CB-90EA0799CDC3.jpeg

Sorry for the poor write up as these are my skimpy notes and expected to post much sooner. However personal things got in the way. I thoroughly enjoyed them all, thanks for sending.

I have to say I really liked mine, just a shame that it didn’t come across on the ones I sent out. Right to the end it had a lovely tropical aroma.

Latest posts

Back