irish stout.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the candyman

Reaction score
going to bottle my irish stout on fri or sat. i am going to prime with black trecle! can anyone tell me how much i should use? i have my 40 newcastle brown bottles, i jst need a capper and caps now. thanks guys for all your help.

I used about 110g but that came out a bit on the fizzy side for a stout. I like it mind but it's not really in keeping with the style.

I'd maybe go about 80g next time but even that might be a bit fizzy for some.

the candyman said:
going to bottle my irish stout on fri or sat. i am going to brime with black trecle! can anyone tell me how much i should use? i have my 40 newcastle brown bottles, i jst need a capper and caps now. thanks guys for all your help.

Exciting times ;) :cool: good luck :thumb:

I just bottled my irish stout last night with about 90g black treacle, time will tell if turns out perfect or not but i'd rather be slightly overprimed than under :thumb:

thanks guys. on another note do i need to crash chill the stout like i did with the lager? and how long should i leave it before i start drinking it?

candyman and lagerlout, I'd be very interested in knowing how your end product turns out. I intend to do an Edme Irish Stout and have some black treacle. I went off the idea when a few brewers mentioned how the black stuff over-powers the taste and they recommended priming with dextrose only.

I haven't worked out if we can email each other direct from this site. Do you know how?

Cheers :cheers:

garylewis1966 said:
candyman and lagerlout, I'd be very interested in knowing how your end product turns out. I intend to do an Edme Irish Stout and have some black treacle. I went off the idea when a few brewers mentioned how the black stuff over-powers the taste and they recommended priming with dextrose only.

I haven't worked out if we can email each other direct from this site. Do you know how?

Cheers :cheers:

Before i started my brew i read a few topics about it and came across a few ideas for using black treacle. A few people have put the whole 454g tin in but i thought i'd start off trying it out just to prime, which i wouldnt think should dramatically alter the flavour. I guess as a compromise you could add a smaller amount of treacle at the start and prime with sugar/dextrose, i'm pretty sure already i'll be doing more irish stout later so will no doubt experiment a bit :D

And yes you can exchange private messages using the 'pm' button under each post :thumb:

Latest posts

Back