Insurance killing car trade.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Landlord.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Mine shot up last year but i managed to get some discount and stayed with the company i am with these people are having to sell their cars as no one will insure them.

Mines never been so cheap. How odd. 3 vehicles in the fleet all fully comp and insured for both of us for £650 and ones a Looney Toon.

Ah, you have something from JLR? The better half wants a F type at some point but I’m trying to keep the fleet German.

It's weird isn't it.
I have a heavily modified Mk3 MR2. We're talking engine swap with miles more power, lowered, alloys and so on - all the things that would normally hurt people. I drive a company car too and little NCB. Yet it's under £250. Yes, I know I'm over 50 and that helps.

My Missus, who is in her 40s, just paid £105 fully comp for her Fiat Panda.

Yet my house insurance has just gone up from £180 to £255 and I can't get much lower with anyone else. I've not claimed and absolutely nothing has changed.

It's a problem with landrover 'cos JLR are useless.
They’re also very nickable. There’s a known flaw that’s allowing them to be stolen in seconds without any damage to the car.

They’re sending out updates to fix it (slowly), but the sheer rate they’re been stolen at has spooked insurers.

Mine went up a bit, but nowhere near as much as all the press was harping on about.
Note I do have my 22yr old son on it as he's still at uni.

So obviously part of the insurance cost is based on the cost of repairing the cars you might hit & part on the car you drive (cost & risk of getting nicked etc)

So maybe steer clear of expensive cars that people want to steal. And/or those makes of car associated with ****s

They’re sending out updates to fix it (slowly), but the sheer rate they’re been stolen
That was mentioned in the video but as you say how fast are they getting the cars updated and if the update goes back many years it could take many months.

And I suspect the insurers have no idea if you’ve updated or not.
Well insurers always want you to have an unmodified car.
Maybe they should state "your car must have had any manufacturer recalls applied"
But then in the new world of always connected electric cars, would you trust automatic updates? (**Cough** Tesla autopilot **cough**)

Mine shot up last year but i managed to get some discount and stayed with the company i am with these people are having to sell their cars as no one will insure them.

Remarkable! Just checked my wifes car Hyundai i30 and the UK prices are comparable.

Last edited:
So obviously part of the insurance cost is based on the cost of repairing the cars you might hit & part on the car you drive (cost & risk of getting nicked etc)

And JLR spares are most expensive.
2 years ago the second battery was £450.. It was a motorcycle/lawnmower battery that's was £50 fitted.

Sorry love landies, but JLR are destroying the British icon & it's reputation.

The old joke fits -

If you want to go into the jungle go in a land rover if you want to make it back go in a Toyota.

Latest posts

Back