Infected or not?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had another look today before botteling, it's defo infected with furry bits on top :(
Tasted bitter but not really sour, so I'll see what it's like once it's conditioned.

I guess it's time for a new fermenter

Try this then... a mold a surface issue. Meaning you can float it off or remove from underneath.

An infection is in the whole of the beverage. Meaning it is a pain in the **** and cannot be mechanically separated. It needs treating, reusing or accepting or binning.

I had another look today before botteling, it's defo infected with furry bits on top :(
Tasted bitter but not really sour, so I'll see what it's like once it's conditioned.

I guess it's time for a new fermenter
When I used those fermenting bins, I would transfer to a secondary in a carboy under airlock after the vigorous part of the fermentation had slowed. At that point the risk of infection increases because of reduced CO2 over the beer. Generally that would be after a week or so. Never had an infection.

I now use a Fermzilla, but will often go back to the bin - carboy method when making ales for example. But never in the bin for long. All of my bins and carboys have taps so I can draw off a small amount for gravity readings without opening the container.

Back