In need of some sort of filter for my extractor fan?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilikerossi

Reaction score
Hello all.
My problem is I have a quite powerful extractor fan with ducting (if needed) which I intend to use during the boil in my cellar which will extract out of a coal shoot window. Now I'm concerned about the steam damaging the fan :nono: so wondered if I there is some sort of filter I could mount to the 125mm round intake?
Any ideas :idea:

I wouldn't of thought it would do any damage to the fan.
I'd leave it running after the boil to dry everything out a bit.

What type of fan is it, Not one of those hydroponic type ones by any chance ??? :whistle: :lol:

I seem to remember somebody (think it was Mixbrewery) who sprayed cold water as a fine mist into the ducting thus eliminating the steam vapour as it just condensed. Bubbling through a water trap is another way of doing it.
FWIW I did run a extractor fan without protection from steam. 'Stuff' started to leach out of the fans plastic, and as I had mounted the fan directly over the boiler (stupid in hindsight I know) the 'gunk' dripped back into the brew (which was promptly binned)
I've just started using the same hydroponics fan to push the steam out of my garage, as opposed to pulling it out...worth a thought.

Vossy1 said:
I seem to remember somebody (think it was Mixbrewery) who sprayed cold water as a fine mist into the ducting thus eliminating the steam vapour as it just condensed. Bubbling through a water trap is another way of doing it.
FWIW I did run a extractor fan without protection from steam. 'Stuff' started to leach out of the fans plastic, and as I had mounted the fan directly over the boiler (stupid in hindsight I know) the 'gunk' dripped back into the brew (which was promptly binned)
I've just started using the same hydroponics fan to push the steam out of my garage, as opposed to pulling it out...worth a thought.

Cheers vossy, that's really helpfull :thumb: does blowing the steam out work for you?
my cellar roof is really low (6.5 ft) so I'm worried about the steam collecting on the roof n' stuff.

Cheers vossy, that's really helpfull does blowing the steam out work for you?
my cellar roof is really low (6.5 ft) so I'm worried about the steam collecting on the roof n' stuff.
I brew in my garage which has an up and over door so it's also about 6.5ft and my copper sits underneath it :roll: I do still get some condensation on the door, it think that's cause the fan isn't the most powerful. I did buy a twin stainless extractor hood on e-bay a year ago to use above the copper in the future, maybe this might be a good route for you :hmm:
If you do go the hood route you might have to have a play with the power settings of the fan.
The fan I had was powerful enough to knock my copper of the boil when sited too close to it.

I know a few brewers who use extractor fans and they site them on the exterior wall.
The condensation from the cooling steam doesn't seem to be a problem, having said that they aren't using ducting and the room does get damp. Ideally if using ducting you want to have it running to a low point just below the fan at the exit wall. A small hole in the ducting at the lowest point will allow condesate to drip out into a bucket or similar. Another option is to use a swan neck, same principle, or you could fill the neck with cold water to act as a condensate trap for the steam, depends how powerful the fan is as to whether this would work.

As you're brewing in a basement, if it were me, I'd want to make sure I got rid of the steam at the copper especially if you have bare joists in there?

I think Aleman might be able to help you on this :hmm:

Latest posts

Back