I started my first brew and have so much to ask, help!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rich27500 said:
Well now we cleared all that up...congratulations nd welcome to the hobby. Never done an extract brew, I jumped from kits to all grain. I hope your beer is awesome!

Thank you. If you do grain, does that mean you have to mill the grain yourself? Maybe I should worry about this after I brew a few from extract.

Lifting the lid?

I am 5 days into fermentation. The airlock is slowly thumping up and down, every 4-5 seconds. Is it safe to look in and see what I have then re-seal? Or do I need to wait out the next 9-10 days? The bucket does not feel warm at all, I am afraid I may have messed something up.

Cheers.

Well you can look, but every time you open that lid you are disturbing the protective blanket of Co2 and giving nasties a chance to get into your beer.

My advice is to just leave it alone. I know how tough that is!!! :D

rich27500 said:
Or even some sort of beer communication device - so you could ask it how it's doing?
This i like , and it could suggest what's best to do such as change temp or give it a stir etc , that would be brilliant

jkrevat, where are you located in the US? PM me if you have any gear specific questions. While there is a lot of overlap between ingredients and equipment, there are some definite differences in both hardware and technique. I'm happy to help with any questions you have.

Baz

Imagine it....clearly the yeast, as the living bit, would talk not the whole beer. Some of the yeasts might get a bit attitudey. Oh good grief I am a superior white labs yeast and here I am fermenting your bog standard bitter, oh well I'll piddle to produce your alcohol and fart to provide CO2

Latest posts

Back