I now LAUGH in the face of poor wort aeration...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puravida

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a reason I shouldn't be doing this....
(also - would a cement mixing attachment on a cordless drill do it better??)

6944845357_b41d120efc_z.jpg

Power tools make stuff more fun.

Looking a bit posh there mate, I've only ever used a hand whisk.

A drill and cement attatchment will do it fine. If you are worried about the plastic coating on it, use a hot air gun and it should peel off.

240v Bosch power drill + placcy mash paddle = lotsa aeration.

Has the same effect as strapping an outboard motor to your brew vessel :cool:

And before anybody tells me off...yes, I know. But it's the only danger I have in my life these days.....oooh, the adrenaline rush.....

I took a couple of similar videos at a brewday. It was the first time I had seen it - you can hear me laughing in the background. :lol: If you click on the images it should take you to the video.

what a crock, the best way without any effort is to just let the wort run into the fv that is the best way to aerate it we have done it that way since day 1 and never had a yeast not start yet

Once I start AG brewing next winter my Kenwood tri-blade is going to get worked! :D

mark1964 said:
what a crock, the best way without any effort is to just let the wort run into the fv that is the best way to aerate it we have done it that way since day 1 and never had a yeast not start yet
I better tell all the commercial breweries that go to a lot of trouble to get sufficient oxygen into their worts that they are doing it all wrong then :roll:

Aleman said:
mark1964 said:
I better tell all the commercial breweries that go to a lot of trouble to get sufficient oxygen into their worts that they are doing it all wrong then :roll:

..sits back..

...opens cold one....

...let battle commence.........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drunk:

dont care what anyone says we are not commercial are we just homebrewers so whats the need in it. The wort is aereated sufficiently just through ordinary transfer

To take two steps back - I've had attenuation issues with recent brews and sought council.

Three different styles of beer have all stuck at 1020 recently and it's been driving me nuts. Mainly because nothing else in my brew process has changed. I do everything the same as before but my beer has not been fermenting properly!!

Two helpful suggestions really made sense. First one was maybe my wort did not contain enough oxygen. Second was that I was not making a starter or at least rehydrating yeast so maybe I was underpitching.

I'm quite an analytical type so wanted to absolutely rule in or out each variable before tweaking the next.

This is a way I figured I could 100% absolutely guarantee my wort was oxygenated. If this brew stalls at 1020 then I'll be able to rule it out and focus on other potential issues.

Also - I use BIAB so I don't drip feed my wort into the FV. I just pick the brewpot up and pour it in.

If it works for you, then thats fine.

Its quite theraputic when I'm sat there with a fag in my gob trying to make the biggest vortex I can with my 2 foot plastic paddle in the end of my drill. Sometimes I can make a brew without thinking about it if you know what I mean, but other times I put everything I've got into making a brew. I will be more passionate about the whole process from start to finish and come drinking time I remember the extra effort I made.

It always tastes better after putting in more effort :cheers:

Edit: There again, how many times have I really gone for it putting in maximum effort while making a brew, instead of just chucking in dry yeast and giving it a quick stir :whistle:

Aleman said:

... I think there is a differnce between a ~1m drop in to a 25l fermenter from a home-brew boiler over a period of 5-10mins than a commercial scenario where the wort is generaly pumped thru a plate chiller after the boiling stage so gets no 'aeration' as generally they pump into the bottom of the FV. Besides if your doing 10+BB the cost of a cylinder of O2...

Giving the yeast a good start... :thumb: good idea.. besides its fun. I think we all have aspects to our personal brewery's that are not necessaries or even recommended in the industry and perhaps thats why we do it ;)

**Edit** After reading again....Oh dear.. I appear to have contradicted Aleman... Wrath shall be struck down before the day is out.. :shock:

Back