I Have A Big One !!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aneray

Landlord.
Reaction score
For a while I have been collecting equipment so I can move over to the dark side. I have an old Burco eight gallon wash boiler which is nearly down to bare copper on the inside thanks to Sean_Mc ( thanks for the advice on cleaning, I have no fingers left !!!) and today I had my future mash tun delivered.

I was worrying a little as Coleman eight gallon cooler boxes are like rocking horse sh#t and they usually go for a decent price. Its virtually brand new and cost me fourteen quid plus eleven for delivery. Sounds a lot but I have seen the same one going for sixty so to me its a bargain. I told the missus after winning it on Ebay and her reply was ' boys and their toys, it will only be used once and then left in the shed' ( I don't think so !! ).

I have seen the hassle that fellow brewers have had cutting 'slits' in copper pipe while making a strainer for their mash tun, so I was wondering, can I use the plastic water pipe and push fittings instead.

Cheers Neil

Nearly there Neil :thumb:

Don't blame me for your sore fingers theres gloves you know :cool:

Killed my bandsaw blade cutting slots for my new tunn last night, so had half hour grueling session finishing it off with a junior hacksaw.
Never thought of using plastic plumbing pipe, but are the pushfit joints easily seperated for cleaning

Any ideas what your first brews going to be?
Probably a very strong stout :hmm:

aneray said:
I have seen the hassle that fellow brewers have had cutting 'slits' in copper pipe while making a strainer for their mash tun, so I was wondering, can I use the plastic water pipe and push fittings instead.

Cheers Neil
Hi Neil,
Copy mine, easy to do...22mm around the edge, 15mm inner
BB
NewMashTun.jpg

Pipes.jpg

CoolBox.jpg

Sean

The wash boiler is a pain in the ass, it has a galvanised type coating on the inside, but after a few hours hard work I'm nearly there. I think the plastic fittings would be a good idea because if I remember rightly you just squeeze and pull to bring them apart. There again the one BB has displayed looks so much more professional and shiny shiny.

As to what my first brew might be, I am looking at two clone brews. Firstly I am thinking about Theakstons Old Peculier. I love it, but not nearly as much as my second one which might be McEwans No 1 Champion Ale. I have found a recipe for the latter which has a 'mini mash' method and a full all AG recipe, so being my first AG brew I will read, digest, read, digest, until I am 100% confident.

BB

I do like your strainer, its going to be a decision that I will have to sleep on !!.

Cheers Neil

aneray said:
Sean

The wash boiler is a pain in the ass, it has a galvanised type coating on the inside, but after a few hours hard work I'm nearly there. I think the plastic fittings would be a good idea because if I remember rightly you just squeeze and pull to bring them apart. There again the one BB has displayed looks so much more professional and shiny shiny.

As to what my first brew might be, I am looking at two clone brews. Firstly I am thinking about Theakstons Old Peculier. I love it, but not nearly as much as my second one which might be McEwans No 1 Champion Ale. I have found a recipe for the latter which has a 'mini mash' method and a full all AG recipe, so being my first AG brew I will read, digest, read, digest, until I am 100% confident.

BB

I do like your strainer, its going to be a decision that I will have to sleep on !!.

Cheers Neil
It was easy, it's all soldered except for the ends that are removable to clean!
BB

I think the only problem with the plastic push fit piping would be that the fittings are a larger diameter than the pipes, preventing the strainer getting right to the bottom of the tun. This would increase your 'dead space'

Latest posts

Back