I don't think I primed the bottles enough. Will it go bad?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnell88

Reaction score
I usually leave it about 7 days in primary, but I had to leave it 10 days because of commitments. I tested with a hydrometer and it had finished fermenting. It might have even finished after 7 days. I am not sure. Anyway, I primed with sugar and after 2 days there is not much sediment in the bottom of the bottles. You cannot even see it, which I always used to be able to.

I am thinking that I either didn't prime the bottles with enough sugar, or the yeast was dead because I had left it in the primary fermenter too long.

Will it go bad/off because of this? What is the consequence?

Cheers. I am hopeful that it will be OK.

One of the fundimentals of brewing is patience; keep your bottles at room temperature for 4-7 days, which should do the trick. I lot of people keep their beer in the primary for 2-3 weeks, no problems. You won't kill off the yeast, and the beer won't go bad. I'm sure it will be just fine :thumb:

I've only done about 8 kits, so not that experienced, but i think you will be fine. One of my kits took ages to condition and carbonate, but it was fine in the end. I had to leave it somewhere warm for about 4 weeks in total, but it got there in the end.

One thing of which i am certain, the yeast will not be dead. Further to the previous comment, have patience (and faith) and it will come good!

how much did u prime the bottles with mate? i usually leave in fv for around 2 weeks, sometimes longer if i cant be arsed kegging, i left my bottles at room temp for 10-14 days then out to the shed for a month at least, ofcourse i did have a few wee cheeky tasters in between! did u bottle any brew in plastic bottles? then you can test and see how hard the bottle is to gauge if the brew has carbonated.

I did a level teaspoon per litre bottle. The reason I didn't think it was enough was because I'd always done 500ml bottles before. I didn't really take the larger bottles into account because I didn't want to risk yeast gush.

I will just make sure that I leave it at room temperature for a bit longer than I normally would before moving them to a cooler area.

Cheers chaps. Happy drinking. :cheers:

a level teaspoon is approximately 4g, so that per litre will give you about 2.0 volumes of CO2, just give it time :D

Back