Huw Edwards' BBC pay increased by £40,000 last year

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because he has saved them. If he had viewed them and instantly deleted them then no issues.
Sadly, the way Whatsapp works is that by viewing them, they're saved to your phone.
As I've said above, an iPhone not only saves them, but it saves them to your photo gallery, so they're mixed up with the 1,000s of other photos you have.

At least Android puts them in a separate folder.

The number of times I go through my pictures and go "Hang on, what's this one? where did this come from?"
Whatsapp downloads them even if you haven't stopped to look at them.

Can I point out btw, I'm not apologising for anyone. He deserves the full force of the law and technological ignorance is not an excuse.

What is WhatsApp :laugh8:

Seriously I don't bother with these things FB and X are bad enough.

I
Do we think it's a badly written law?
I would say yes, if people are too scared to report child abuse because they believe they may get into trouble for reporting a picture they accidentally viewed on a site that was not about child abuse it will stop them reporting.

What is WhatsApp :laugh8:

Seriously I don't bother with these things FB and X are bad enough.
Ah ok. Fair question.

Whatsapp is a phone application that's similar to SMS texting. But you can also create groups and add people to it.
You can also send photos and things, so it's not just text.

The last big issue was with Boris during Covid. He created a Whatsapp group where he was communicating with his cabinet but it couldn't be used in the enquiry, because somehow he managed to wipe his entire phone and the evidence was washed away.

It was also used in those scumbag Policemen that were sharing pictures of dead bodies around and laughing about them.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...affer-jamie-lewis-nicole-smallman-bibaa-henry
And another
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...messages-friends-family-jailed-two-years.html

And also those who shared racist jokes and so on
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/cri...-priti-patel-prince-harry-queen-b1105370.html

The problem with it is, because it's private, people often share stuff close to the bone (hence why I mentioned above about nefarious stuff, racist videos and in this case, paedophilia - fortunately, I've not been sent anything of the latter and yes, as someone with a DBS who volunteers with young people, I would absolutely report it).

Sadly, the way Whatsapp works is that by viewing them, they're saved to your phone.
As I've said above, an iPhone not only saves them, but it saves them to your photo gallery, so they're mixed up with the 1,000s of other photos you have.

At least Android puts them in a separate folder.

The number of times I go through my pictures and go "Hang on, what's this one? where did this come from?"
Whatsapp downloads them even if you haven't stopped to look at them.

Can I point out btw, I'm not apologising for anyone. He deserves the full force of the law and technological ignorance is not an excuse.
You can change the settings that allows you to download them and not auto-download them. I have this, stops all the spam kids photos in the various family groups. Delete in WhatsApp will delete from gallery.

End of the day he was in a group chat with a bunch of paedo's sharing children's photos. He knew what he was doing. There are plenty of legal arguments and stated cases he could have gone down if he genuinely didn't know there were there and didn't access them. I guess there was evidence that he had viewed them on multiple times or talked about them in thr chat.

You can change the settings that allows you to download them and not auto-download them. I have this, stops all the spam kids photos in the various family groups. Delete in WhatsApp will delete from gallery.

End of the day he was in a group chat with a bunch of paedo's sharing children's photos. He knew what he was doing. There are plenty of legal arguments and stated cases he could have gone down if he genuinely didn't know there were there and didn't access them. I guess there was evidence that he had viewed them on multiple times or talked about them in thr chat.
Oh completely agree about the privacy settings. It's just many people don't know how to change their settings.

And I absolutely agree - he's pleaded guilty and will likely end up with a suspended sentence.
I'm just glad that the scumbag that sent them will be sent down too. And hopefully if he or whoever filmed them is caught, they'll have their knackers chopped off.

I used to 'police' the IT image filter as IT manager at a previous job. one or two images I did have to look into the law to see if they were illegal. when I introduced the filter I gave all staff prior warning in line with the IT usage policy everyone singed up to and all new staff were informed about when they had their IT induction. for new starters no it induction no login details.

This didn't stop stuff coming in externally that the filter picked up on. Unless there was evidence the person who received them asked for them the receiver was not held responsible for images sent. I would block the email if inappropriate or if illegal the police/isp would be informed.

It would be relatively easy to try and stitch a work colleague up by sending inappropriate content to someone with an email address that would seem to imply it has been sent by the receiver eg from [email protected] to [email protected] forum.

only a few daft so and so's tried to send stuff out. they'd cut and pasted some pics from an unfiltered website then tried to email them out. Our filtering was designed to protect staff from receiveing disturbing email/communications and also to protect the reputation of the company. in a later upgrade to the image filtering software I was able get the software to forward a filter failed email to their staff members line manager and let them deal with it as appropriate. I was just the system admin it was for a persons line manager to deal with inappropriate communications. (of course if it was hacking related or breach of security that was different)

I'd never felt such a relief when I didn't have to deal with image filter fails anymore :-)

Reactions: Stu

Latest posts

Back