How to fit taps to Fridge to make kegerator

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzle

Reaction score
Hi all,

As the title says, I have just purchased some taps to fit to my larder fridge in preparation of making a kegerator but I do not know how to fit them. They will be arriving soon so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pics below

Dan0dOC.jpg

tJNjbvc.jpg

lol I was going to buy these from Ebay the other day and then looked at the price he wanted for postage and changed my mind. They also didn't show the nut that's screws on the back to tighten it up so I was a little put off by that.

But the long and short of fitting it is: Drill a hole big enough in the door for the tap to fit into. Some people put a piece of wood on the back of the door to give the tap a tighter fit. I use a 25mm wood drill. push the tap into the drilled hole then screw it tight with the nut, but I don't see the nut on the screw thread on the pics. Once its on and tight just fit the beer line into the push fit connection on the back.

Hi all,

As the title says, I have just purchased some taps to fit to my larder fridge in preparation of making a kegerator but I do not know how to fit them. They will be arriving soon so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pics below

Dan0dOC.jpg

tJNjbvc.jpg

lol I was going to buy these from Ebay the other day and then looked at the price he wanted for postage and changed my mind. They also didn't show the nut that's screws on the back to tighten it up so I was a little put off by that.

But the long and short of fitting it is: Drill a hole big enough in the door for the tap to fit into. Some people put a piece of wood on the back of the door to give the tap a tighter fit. I use a 25mm wood drill. push the tap into the drilled hole then screw it tight with the nut, but I don't see the nut on the screw thread on the pics. Once its on and tight just fit the beer line into the push fit connection on the back.

Thanks for the response! I managed to negotiate the price to £25 including delivery for the pair which wasn't too bad. I did notice about the locking nuts but I'm sure I'll be able to pick some up quite cheap. Once it's all done I'll upload some pics :thumb:

I did notice about the locking nuts but I'm sure I'll be able to pick some up quite cheap.
Confess I don't use these. I went for a BE instead, but when I did look at taps, I recall that the usual size for the fixing thread was 3/4" bsp. I've fitted drum taps to FVs etc, and these are 3/4 threads. I used a 25mm bit, same as Winker did for his beer taps, which also suggests they're 3/4 bsp. Easy enough to get from any local plumbing supplies place. Example:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bsp-flanged-backnuts/32082

Cheers,
Chris

Confess I don't use these. I went for a BE instead, but when I did look at taps, I recall that the usual size for the fixing thread was 3/4" bsp. I've fitted drum taps to FVs etc, and these are 3/4 threads. I used a 25mm bit, same as Winker did for his beer taps, which also suggests they're 3/4 bsp. Easy enough to get from any local plumbing supplies place. Example:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bsp-flanged-backnuts/32082

Cheers,
Chris

Thanks for the info Chris, there's a fewscrix near me so I can just take the taps in to check if they fit too! :thumb: I've seen elsewhere that people have cut away the insulation on the inside of the fridge door as the taps weren't long enough, they then made washers out of wood and a hole saw to reinforce the fridge door for extra sturdiness so I may look into that. Just gotta wait for the polykegs now!

Sounds like you're on the right lines - hope it goes well!

..there's a fewscrix near me...

Yes, to make my homebrew kit I've had to learn a lot about electrickery, plumbing fittings, etc. In fact, before then, I thought Screwfix was a national chain of marriage guidance councillors
icon_e_wink.gif

Cheers,
Chris

Just gotta wait for the polykegs now!
Can you get enough pressure in a polykeg to serve from a tap? Taps are usually used with pressure kegs (cornies, sankeys, lala), and polys are pumped by a BE, so that's a new one on me.

Cheers,
Chris

Can you get enough pressure in a polykeg to serve from a tap? Taps are usually used with pressure kegs (cornies, sankeys, lala), and polys are pumped by a BE, so that's a new one on me.

I think you're thinking of polypins, the polykegs are new PET 30L kegs that operate in the same way as the sankeys. They have a spear and need to be fitted with a sankey coupler but are just made of PET plastic. They are marketed as single use but can be effectively reused for the home brewer. There lots of info on them on the "other" forum. I'm getting 3 at £5 each so saves a lot of cost for now so I can always upgrade in future. There seems to be a lot of them coming in to the market at the minute...polykeg, dolium, ecokeg, keykeg etc. I've read great things so I have high hopes but even if not it's only £15 so not a great loss.

I think you're thinking of polypins
:oops: You're right - ooops! As you say, the PET kegs seem to be gaining popularity amongst homebrewers. I'd be tempted to try them if I was setting-up now, but, like many, I find the idea of spears and lack of internal access for cleaning is off-putting. Think I'll stick with my motley collection of cornies!

Cheers,
Chris

Back