how long for ginger beer to clear?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tan

Reaction score
if i'm using a bottom tap and not bottling (priming in pressure barrel) how long b4 it clears at the bottom (@tap)?

:lol:
but really....give us a clue. it'll take less effort and time than your joke did.

There really is no way of knowing; even the same beer will clear at markedly different rates due to all sorts of imponderables. I made my own ginger beer recently, and left it in the primary fermenter 2 weeks before going straight to bottle. It was clear after about 5 days. Normal advice is to try after 2 weeks; in a keg, I'd pour a small glass and see. Not clear yet? Try again in a week.

yeh. i laughed too. just wanted the advice to come also, but i got that now.
the ginger beer is still fermenting slowly. its probably fine. i made another batch today which should be 4.2% ish.
i think i can see patterns emerging from the regular testing tho. methods for keeping the rate up. e.g. i think maybe the stuff should be sieved after a few days but possibly mixing it helps otherwise.
the recipe isnt from this site but i was wondering about the time for yeasts to clean up after themselves generally, whatever it is they do.

Would you link the recipe for us? I've been experimenting with little 1 gallon brews, trying to make my perfect ginger beer, and I would like more ideas. The forum one was too lemony; nice, but not what I was looking for.

after last night i have decided 9% is to strong for ginger beer...im sure i have lost 2 hrs of my life forever......note to self...less sugar!

That seems reasonable, though you may regret putting less ginger in. Reading back, it seems like you're asking when it will clear while the ginger beer is still fermenting. In fact, it even looks like you're fermenting this in the barrel you plan to dispense it from. This is probably just me misunderstanding, but if not, well...... You need to ferment in one vessel, then when fermentation is over, add priming sugar (so it'll prime and be fizzy), and then put it in the keg, and THEN wait for it to clear.

yeh, i bought a pressure barrel first cos i didnt know what i was doing but i intend to get a fermenting bucket with bottom tap and filter it into there when its fermented and clean the barrel then run it back into barrel with priming sugar.

2 hours lost, that is some impressive work there, Can't argue with that!!

9% may be a little high, heck I am worried about my 7% and brain bursting potential!!

Surely ginger beer should always be cloudy anyway, not saying that the recipe isn't right or anything but ginger beer should be that way regardless.

A clear ginger beer seems to me a little like an empty glass... ie a travesty ;)

I am not gonna bother till the winter when it starts getting a bit chilly again then go for one, you want one a little larger than you think you need as it will maintain heat more easily.

Both, You can get them about 18" long, and they have more oomph to give, Just means it won't struggle to keep a big FV a the right temp at all. Like driving a bigger motor up a hill, no hassles when the engine is bigger so no strain and it will last longer. think that is a good analogy anyway!

with a little one it will simple have a harder task and die faster.... somebody may be able to correct me but that is the way I did it when I have my tanks (used to keep fish)

erm...i imagine the first bit of priming needs same stable temps as fermentation (as its fermenting added bit of sugar) but after that, should it still be kept at 20ish celcius?

Latest posts

Back