How long can you use 5L PET Bottles?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanywiseman.

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have been brewing my first batch of WOW in PET bottles bought from the supermarket. When I mentioned this to the person in my LHBS they said to be carful as after a couple of brews they start to leech off flavours into the brew.

Is this true? Would they not be food grade plastic?

And if it is true how many weeks can I keep a brew in them for?

Cheers :thumb:

Sounds a load of old cobblers to me, there doesn't appear to be a great deal of difference between 5 litre mineral water bottles and the 5 litre PETs which the homebrew shops sell as fermenters.

I have re-used mineral water PETs several times, but to date I don't think I've left any wine in one for much more than a year, I still like to use glass for long-term maturation ;)

That is what I thought Moley. The water can stay in the bottle for a couple of years. I have just got a couple of glass DJs for long maturation.

I laughed when I first saw those plastic fermenters at an online brew shop. They were about 3 or 4 quid, whereas sainsburys sell them for a pound with 5 litres of spring water free! I will probably just buy a new one the next time I do a kit and need a fair bit of water for it.

Doesn't one of the big supermarkets also sell wine in 1 or 1.5 litre PET bottles :wha: - sure I have seen it somewhere
Not sure why numerous brews in them would make any difference to one brew for a longer term ?

I guess I will be buying 5L bottles of water of brewing my beer caues then I will have to brew more wine in the empty bottles. I like being green and recycling! :D

In our house they last until about March time when they get cut up to make cloches for my veg :rofl: 3+ uses for £1 cant be bad

You could of course use these from Staples. 15lt £6.66. A bit more expensive but more durable.

uk_394633_1_std.jpg

Does anyone use water cooler bottles as FVs? Seen used ones on eBay for pennies before now. Is the mouth too big for standard bungs? How do you stop it up?

Somnophore said:
Does anyone use water cooler bottles as FVs? Seen used ones on eBay for pennies before now. Is the mouth too big for standard bungs? How do you stop it up?

The Better Bottle type bungs fit these. But I reuse the plastic cap to seal the top. I genrally use them for bulk maturing as they are a pig to clean properly.

The OP sounds like he was getting the "you need to buy one of our FVs" sales chat lol.

Why are they hard to clean, the ribbed type ones will be hard the thicket smooth bodied ones should be ok.

The larger water bottles are hard to clean due to the size and narrow neck making it hard to get the brush in there. The fermentation gunk is hard to reach. Give me a 4" opening anyday when it comes to cleaning. :D

Thoughs large water bottles seem like a great idea. I never thought of using them. Definetly going to have to get some.

Don't forget the commercial water bottles are 19.5lt, so a tad on the small size if you do a 25lt brew. But good for secondary racking of a 20lt brew.

PET bottles are gas permeable. They breathe slightly, not unlike wooden barrels. You can further simulate oak aging by adding oak chips. Oak 'beans' about 1 cm square) are best, preferably toasted and left for up to 3 months.
For this reason PET bottles are not recommended for storing white wine for more than 6 months, but reds are ok for longer (I have read).
The 5 litre fermenters do come equipped with a suitable bung and air trap. I have tried cutting a hole for a standard bung using a woodbit but it took ages to get a smooth and perfectly round hole. I only use them for storing. Interestingly, I left some outside full of water. The pond froze over with an inch of ice, but the water in the bottles was unaffected, so PET seems to be a good insulator.
The mineral water is of course ideal for brewing, especially if, like mine, your tap water is quite unpalatable.

For the hole in the lid of a 5l PET I just drew around a 2p piece with a marker and cut it out with a Stanley knife. Works perfectly for the Youngs rubber bungs.

Latest posts

Back