How do you cool/chill your kegs?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyhull

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im going to be getting another brew going within the next week or so and im thinking of brewing a Better Brew Export Lager for the warmer months (i won't say sunnier months as they probably won't be).

I have enough bottles for it but was thinking of kegging it in one of the cheaper plastic kegs, you know the types around £25ish.

I can't stand warm not chilled lager so was wondering how you chill them for anytime drinking without a beer fridge?

I'll be storing it in the loft to condition so i would also like to know, how do you move them without stiring up the sediment?

Thanks
Andy

suppose I'm lucky than most living on the farm I have one of the out buildings and I managed to get two pepsi drinks fridges from a builder who was refitting the local shop they chill down to 2 to 6 deg. We put all sorts of stuff gets put in them there is a fallow buck in one now but i am going to keep looking for another tall drinks fridge to go into the porch at the back of the house so I don't have to walk across the yard (mind you there is something quite nice about fetching a jug of beer or beef lol) and not having it on hand

Low Farm said:
mind you there is something quite nice about fetching a jug of beef

Do you then go into the kitchen and make a beer and horseradish sandwich :lol: :lol:

You may want to think about how fizzy you want the lager - the budget barrels won't take much pressure and have a habit of leaking if you go a bit too far...

I will be refitting the tap with silicone so won't have a leak issue, and will also be getting one with a PRV.

I too would advise against a budget barrel, esp. for a lager. Bottle it and put them in the fridge before drinking. Problem sorted.

Ref: disturbing the sediment... how the hell do you get it into the loft in the first place?

jonnymorris said:
I too would advise against a budget barrel, esp. for a lager. Bottle it and put them in the fridge before drinking. Problem sorted.

Ref: disturbing the sediment... how the hell do you get it into the loft in the first place?

I know i can bottle it but rather like the idea of having a few kegs set up so everyone can just help themselves at this years garden partys.

We have a loft conversion with a full staircase :grin:

I put my top tap kegs in those big plastic buckets you get from garden centres. Partially fill with water and then use about 4/6 frozen 2 litre bottles. They stay frozen quite along time and if you can keep a few in the freezer to rotate with thawed ones it does the job nicely. :drink:

monkeybob said:
I put my top tap kegs in those big plastic buckets you get from garden centres. Partially fill with water and then use about 4/6 frozen 2 litre bottles. They stay frozen quite along time and if you can keep a few in the freezer to rotate with thawed ones it does the job nicely. :drink:

Yeh, thats what we did last year with commercially bottled beer.

Thanks
Andy

Back