Hot weather - 1st ever brew - 28ºC

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darcey said:
GA :thumb: indeed. Yeast is very interesting. I think I fall in to the 'over pitching' category!

The flip side of all of this is that ester production is also very closely associated with fusel production ie the precursors of esters are also produced during the growth phase but at temps below 22c. Esters give english ales their fruity notes, so keeping temps lower will still allow for their production however over pitching also results in these not being produced, which IMHO is a bad thing :grin: :grin:

Mainly do clean IPA, Pale session beers or 'lager' style.

I actually tend to use S04 Packets for English styles and follow the guidelines (more or less!)!

D

In my opinion you'll just have to wait an see.. Maybe the temp has given it some off flavours maybe you got lucky, thing is what's done is done. Use the experience of the people here and learn from it is the best tip that can be given.

Hope its all good in the end.

evanvine said:
graysalchemy said:
Mind you according to Jim I am a scare mongering old Wife so take no notice of me. :grin: :grin:
:thumb: :thumb: I never named any caps! :tongue: :tongue:

No but with you past history it doesn't take much powers of deduction.

My first ever brew (Youngs Harvest Bitter) has been in the barrel since saturday night, floating between 21.2 and 23.5 degrees. My next one is going to be Woodfordes Nog that i will bottle hopefully.

The large plastic tubs Moley has mentioned are readily available from builders merchants or equine shops. They are sometimes called Gorilla Tubs. I work at such an establishment (Ringwood Fencing) and now see the answer to a summer problem staring me in the face. Cheers Moley.

Will i gain from sitting the barrel in one of these tubs with a few inches of water in it? Cheers.

noddyman said:
The large plastic tubs Moley has mentioned are readily available from builders merchants or equine shops. They are sometimes called Gorilla Tubs. I work at such an establishment (Ringwood Fencing) and now see the answer to a summer problem staring me in the face. Cheers Moley.

Will i gain from sitting the barrel in one of these tubs with a few inches of water in it? Cheers.

I've seen the exact same type of bucket in various fetching colours in my local asda for about £3-4 each.......ching ching :D
Save's a trip to travis "Dick turpin" perkins or the like :D
Andy

I have just put my barrel in a Gorilla Tub and half filled it with water, i have also added 2 ice blocks from the freezer. The temperature under the stairs has been reaching 25.5 so i am a bit concerned about it spoiling. The brew has been in the barrel for 6 days now.

Right thing to do? :hmm:

Hi Guys,

So I tried it 2 weeks ago (at 3 weeks old) and it was great! the head didnt last very long, but it didnt go flat, and it tasted great.

I'm gonna try it this weekend, at 5 weeks old.

Thanks for all the replies!

I've fermented quite a few beer kits at 26-28C and they've all been excellent. I even had a Kenridge Showcase Cabernet/Shiraz I found fermenting at 35C when I came back off holiday , it's one of the best wines I've ever tasted!

Pearlfisher said:
I've fermented quite a few beer kits at 26-28C and they've all been excellent. I even had a Kenridge Showcase Cabernet/Shiraz I found fermenting at 35C when I came back off holiday , it's one of the best wines I've ever tasted!

Did you get a bit worried at that then Pearlfisher?

Latest posts

Back