Hopping in a mesh bag - think I have messed up - any advice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Woods

Reaction score
Just made a very hoppy IPA and decided to use a big mesh bag to try to reduce the trub and get a clearer brew. I think I may have screwed up though as I now notice the hop bag was only 75 micron - i.e. very fine.

All was going well until I tried to lift the bag out and discovered the liquid that was in there wasn't draining so almost impossible to lift out - it was a big bag! not to mention is was also very hot! So I decided to empty the hops back into the wort causing a mass of trub! ruining my plan of a clearer beer!

So the question is will the hop bitterness and flavour have got into the beer or will this fine mesh bag have restricted that. On tasting the wort it was very bitter so hoping I haven't messed up and the beer will be drinkable.
Any advice?

Many thanks

It will clear eventually and be drinkable, plenty of brewers just chuck in the hops but if it is a large amount the issue can be too much vegetable matter can stay with the beer and add to extra bitterness or perceived bitterness depending on if you believe in dry hops adding bitterness.
just run with it it may be amazing

If it comes out a little too bitter, this will fade in time. Home made beer can be perfectly drinkable after a year in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back