Hop pellets and an electric boiler

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanderkidd

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide on what gear to invest in for all grain. Living in flat pretty much rules out gas boiler and steel brew kettle, the space saving covenience of one of the brupaks electric boilers is appealing to me, however, I was wondering if these are suitable to use with hop pellets due to the sludge?

Trying to make sure I consider everything before making a decision. My cooker is a space saving ceramic hob so I doubt I'd fit a brew kettle on it going by the pot diameters I've checked out, never mind whether it would even achieve a boil!

yes i think you're right about an electric boiler for you , your hob wouldn't cope , most don't and a space saving hob will be less powerful . So either get a tea urn/boiler as mentioned or convert a strong fv with kettle elements . Brew in a bag would prob be best for you too , just 1 pot and a large grain bag . You could also use muslin bags for hops . pellets tend to be slightly stronger and are easier to store (not much) while hop leaf act as a sort of filter when draining if using a hop filter with tap , i use leaf .

pittsy said:
yes i think you're right about an electric boiler for you , your hob wouldn't cope , most don't and a space saving hob will be less powerful . So either get a tea urn/boiler as mentioned or convert a strong fv with kettle elements . Brew in a bag would prob be best for you too , just 1 pot and a large grain bag . You could also use muslin bags for hops . pellets tend to be slightly stronger and are easier to store (not much) while hop leaf act as a sort of filter when draining if using a hop filter with tap , i use leaf .
Thanks for the reply, very useful to have someone else confirm my thinking! Also wondered would hop pellet sludge potentially stick to the electric elements?

Back