Hop basket or bag, which to use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish Fingers

Reaction score
I’ve run out of hop bags and was wondering if I need to keep buying these bags or should I go for a basket instead as the bags can be quite expensive in the long run. I was wondering what others use for boiling their hops and for dry hopping. Even the baskets seem quite expensive for what they are. And do you have a go to shop for your equipment? Thanks

I’ve run out of hop bags and was wondering if I need to keep buying these bags or should I go for a basket instead as the bags can be quite expensive in the long run. I was wondering what others use for boiling their hops and for dry hopping. Even the baskets seem quite expensive for what they are. And do you have a go to shop for your equipment? Thanks
Some supermarkets (Sainsbury's I think) sell a mesh bag for veg for 30p that is ideal for hopping.

I use a hop spider for boiling and knee if those metal mesh tubes for dry hopping. Agree they are expensive for what they are, but cheap for the hassle or saves me with hops clogging things

I've been using a large stainless steel hop spider (arouund 350 x 125mm). Not sure if that's what you mean by 'a basket'. It works well, but cleaning out hop pellet residue is hard work, even with a spray action sink tap.
I can imagine, that being able to turn a bag inside out, might make cleaning much easier. And a bag could go in the washing machine.

I recirculate via the hop spider, for most of the boil time, to give good efficiency. Guess this would also work via a bag.

I tried manner of sh1te wish someone had told me.
For dry hopping, where cleanliness is more important than during boil, I use a SS hop spider with screw lid. Volume's around 0.8l.
Ag,Hops for Brewing, Hop Spider, Stainless Steel, £9.79 on Amnzn.

The trouble with hop spider(I have used one for years) is the lower micron one clog up too easy I now prefer to use veg bags I can lift them out place them in a large jug and let them drain then just add the hop juice back in to the vessel.
I also prefer to recirculate when whirlpooling onto the bag for better extraction if you do this with a hop spider it can fill up and overflow putting loads of hop debris in to the wort.

I also prefer to recirculate when whirlpooling onto the bag for better extraction if you do this with a hop spider it can fill up and overflow putting loads of hop debris in to the wort.
Interesting. I recirculate into the hop spider (800 micron) and it's never done that. But I don't do super hoppy brews so maybe that's why.

My hop spider does "clog up" but it's hooked over the edge of the kettle, so by the time I've pumped half the wort out, it's above the level of the wort and begins draining. By the time I've finished pumping out the wort, the hop spider is drained and there is just the damp mush left and the "hop juice" has entered the fermenter

Latest posts

Back