Home brewing books for beginners

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charlie Papazian - A classic in the homebrewing community, this book is friendly, approachable, and covers all aspects of brewing

Hi as a few others have said the Greg Hughes book is good, british and relevent to the modern day for beer brewing. I don't do much country wine anymore but the old CJJ Berry First Steps in Winemaking book helped me, although don't know if some of the processes discussed are considered "correct" in the modern brewing / winemaking world.

I would spend some time on youtube, I learn best from monkey see, monkey do rather than reading. Don't get me wrong there can be some/a lot of misleading stuff on there but a few I would check out that I would consider are fairly reliable:

newtohomebrewtom - older videos before he got shiney expensive equipment
maltmiller - massive back catalogue and touch on wine kits too.
brewbros
homebrewgriffo
saffer brew
GetErBrewed
Brewbitz - good for winemaking and kits
Oysterboys - a few instructional videos on there, there is a recent good one for wine kits too.

Someone mentioned starting a blog post on this forum for advice - I think that is a great idea too.

Just have fun don't get too hung up or disheartened if you have the odd disaster, learn and understand what you done wrong for future.

For me if starting with wine I would do some of the wine kits first (4-12w)- generally a quicker turnaround than country or hedgerow wines (6m+) to get to the drinking part. Beer is much quicker turn around can be drinking in 2-4w although a bit of time helps the finished product mostly. but all grain takes a fair bit of kit and time on brewday, which is fine but I would start with a few kits then move on, the kit and processes you buy / learn are still relevent as you step up to AG / extract brewing.

Dave Miller's 'Home Brewing Guide' penned by a homebrewer who rose to a master brewer.
I'm genuinely considering writing a "Fermzilla for Dummies".
Or doing a YouTube vid. Several like Malt Miller and Kegland have done videos, but they make so many assumptions.
Malt Miller say "See our previous videos". Yet, I've looked through them all and can't find a single one that explains how do to pressure fermenting, what psi, how to dry hop (although Kegland will sell you a hop bong), how to transfer without pushing more CO2 through.

I'm finding it all out from here and from snippets of folk in the Fermzilla FB group.

Kegland's instructions are absolutely awful. All they talk about is how to ferment using the bubbler. No instructions came with the add-on Pressure kit.
Ashton Lewis, master brewer covered Pressure Fermenting in the latest BYO magazine.

Back