Hi

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheatlover

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This is my 1st post, although I have been watching in the wings for 6 years now.

As yet I am still only a kit brewer, but thought I would share my first real success with you.

So, for 6 years I've been attempting all sorts....
Lagers, IPAs, wheats, all trying to replicate certain brands I have found in shops.
Some have been quite drinkable, however some have ended up down the toilet.

My local brew shop closed its doors in stockport after many years and so I have resorted to internet purchases or wilkos‍♂️

However, I recently visited a brew shop in Chesterfield whilst passing through.
Picked up an "evil dog double Ipa" and being a fan of the Oakham "Citra", bought a foil pack 100g of Citra hops.
On brewday I found the kit contained Simcoe and and Summit hop tea bags.
Upon reading about the use of Summit to dry hop it became apparent that onion features quite often.( Nobody wants onion in their beer). These went in the cupboard, probably to end up in the bin someday.

Fermentation was strong and I could see from the vessel this was going to be paler than most I had tried before

So I bottled it last weekend and have just put it in the ginnel for clearing but was so tempted by the sample I had at bottling, that I could not resist cracking one open.

OH MY GOSH!!!.

Apricots, oranges, vanilla. My nose is going crazy.
The taste is just as exotic,.

Reminds me of a Tiny Rebel beer I tried in a bar in Worthing, Tropical Crush iirr.
But thankfully not quite so sickly.

Well that's me for now.

Thank you for all the advice and knowledge I have learned from you all over the years.

Hers to many more good brew days.

Attachments

• 20200221_165702.jpg
    20200221_165702.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 139
Hi Guys,

This is my 1st post, although I have been watching in the wings for 6 years now.

As yet I am still only a kit brewer, but thought I would share my first real success with you.

So, for 6 years I've been attempting all sorts....
Lagers, IPAs, wheats, all trying to replicate certain brands I have found in shops.
Some have been quite drinkable, however some have ended up down the toilet.

My local brew shop closed its doors in stockport after many years and so I have resorted to internet purchases or wilkos‍♂️

However, I recently visited a brew shop in Chesterfield whilst passing through.
Picked up an "evil dog double Ipa" and being a fan of the Oakham "Citra", bought a foil pack 100g of Citra hops.
On brewday I found the kit contained Simcoe and and Summit hop tea bags.
Upon reading about the use of Summit to dry hop it became apparent that onion features quite often.( Nobody wants onion in their beer). These went in the cupboard, probably to end up in the bin someday.

Fermentation was strong and I could see from the vessel this was going to be paler than most I had tried before

So I bottled it last weekend and have just put it in the ginnel for clearing but was so tempted by the sample I had at bottling, that I could not resist cracking one open.

OH MY GOSH!!!.

Apricots, oranges, vanilla. My nose is going crazy.
The taste is just as exotic,.

Reminds me of a Tiny Rebel beer I tried in a bar in Worthing, Tropical Crush iirr.
But thankfully not quite so sickly.

Well that's me for now.

Thank you for all the advice and knowledge I have learned from you all over the years.

Hers to many more good brew days.
Hello, you should post more ! I use summit regularly for bittering, but when you open a packet of them they smell amazing, so I’m sure you can dry hop with them but perhaps for 3 days or so to reduce anything other than the aroma. Store unopened hops in the fridge, open bags in the freezer otherwise they fade. It’s great to hear you had a successful brew, congratulations..

First welcome to @wheatlover

Next, similar to @Keruso, I also use Summit for bittering in conjunction with Cascade as a late hop, it really works, and is one of my repeats. I also read about onion but went ahead anyway and haven't noticed anything like that.

Latest posts

Back