Hi, just joined!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spudbasher

Reaction score
:grin: Hi everyone,

just started my first brew,1 gall. Sainsburys own make red grape juice,I know its basic but I bought all the gear and couldn't wait to start! I've got 18 demijohns off ebay for a tenner so went to wilkos for the bits and pieces .
I also have a 5 gall barrel with air lock and would welcome any advice on a cheapish good kit to start with for this.

Cheers Spud.

Hi spud welcome to the forum :thumb:
what kind of kit are you lookin for? beer, lager, cider, wine?

Hello and welcome. I've just started a kit for the first time. I took the cheap and quick version of a Belvino australian red 7 day kit, as I didn't want to go more upmarket until I got some practical experience. It's bubbling away nicely now after 5 days, and for 20 quid if I mess it up due to inexperience it's not too much money down the drain. I found the instructions to be quite foolproof (as even I could follow them), though it seems to be a common opinion that you tend to get what you pay for. I have seen a lot of recommendations for Beaverdale kits which are slightly more expensive but supposedly better quality. So it depends on what you feel comfortable spending for a first attempt. I was just a bit tentative as I have a habit of doing things wrong first time. Whatever you pick good luck to you. :thumb:

stevander74 said:
Hi spud welcome to the forum :thumb:
what kind of kit are you lookin for? beer, lager, cider, wine?

Its a barrel for 5 g of wine ,so, as I wanted to get a few dj,s bubbling I thought a decent wine kit . Or shall I just go the carton route,I have already got 1gall going, its 2 Sainsburys pure red grape ,one Delmonte apple concentrate, one coop basic orange concentrate, (is that too much juice ?) ,its working ok so far! :D

cheers Spud.

grumps said:
Hello and welcome. I've just started a kit for the first time. I took the cheap and quick version of a Belvino australian red 7 day kit, as I didn't want to go more upmarket until I got some practical experience. It's bubbling away nicely now after 5 days, and for 20 quid if I mess it up due to inexperience it's not too much money down the drain. I found the instructions to be quite foolproof (as even I could follow them), though it seems to be a common opinion that you tend to get what you pay for. I have seen a lot of recommendations for Beaverdale kits which are slightly more expensive but supposedly better quality. So it depends on what you feel comfortable spending for a first attempt. I was just a bit tentative as I have a habit of doing things wrong first time. Whatever you pick good luck to you. :thumb:

Yep ,I saw the Beaverdale kits in Wilkos , they have a couple of others as well, might try a load of cartons though,got the kids drinking loads of 15p asda lemo for the bottles. :grin:

cheers Spud

Back