Help with Broadside(ish) all grain receipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bingshoe

Reaction score
Been toying with a possible receipe for Braodside and have come up with the following for all grain based on 23litres:

Pale 4.4kg
Crystal 0.350kg
Black 0.15kg

60mins - Challenger 35g
30mins - Fuggles 20g
5mins - Goldings 15g

Wyeast 1318 ? (as would unable to get Adnams yeast strain)

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions greatly received?

Cheers

Don't know the beer in question, but it looks a good balanced mix.

What temperature are you planning to mash at?

Someone actually produces a AG kit which claims to be a Broadside clone.

http://www.colchesterhomebrew.co.uk/col ... beer-.html

Personally I've never quite understood the desire to 'clone' a pub beer. By definition, you are already, as a home brewer, producing a far better product than anything that's going to be served up to you in a pub - and your 40 pints is going to cost less than the price of 5 pints in the pub.

I have it on reasonable authority that Broadside is a stronger version of the Southwold Ale . . .which is the better beer of the two IMNSHO . . . I'll try and dig out the recipe notes I made :whistle:

luckyeddie said:
Personally I've never quite understood the desire to 'clone' a pub beer.

...... but I guess we've all come away from a session wanting to emulate a style, even if we don't want to be able to produce a photocopy?

luckyeddie said:
SPersonally I've never quite understood the desire to 'clone' a pub beer.
Adnams Southwold Bitter is the finest session beer in the world . . . Bar none! More than enough incentive to clone that ;)

Aleman said:
luckyeddie said:
Adnams Southwold Bitter is the finest session beer in the world . . . Bar none! More than enough incentive to clone that ;)

Thats a recomendation if ever I saw one. Going to have to try that now Tony.

Oh and if I could find a recipe for UBU I would clone that its one of the best Beers ive ever tasted along with Bath ales Gem.

battwave said:
luckyeddie said:

...... but I guess we've all come away from a session wanting to emulate a style, even if we don't want to be able to produce a photocopy?

Oh goodness me yes - I'm all for emulating a style e,g Belgian Blond, Belgian Wit, Belgian Golden, Belgian Dubbel, Belgian Tripel, Belgian Quad, Bel.... (voice fades into distance)

Aleman said:
luckyeddie said:

It is very nice and I would gladly join you for a protracted session, although if I had to choose one session beer and one only to take with me (in unlimited quantities) to the proverbial desert island, it would be De Koninck. Served in a bolleke, naturally.

It would be a far more boring world if we all had the same favourites.

Theres a Adnams Broadside in Graham Wheelers book. I did a short extract version of it (15L 2 weeks ago - bottling this weekend). So far it tastes pretty good (samples :whistle: ) but am not sure about the acid malt he says to put in it, possibly too much for my liking. Also its not as dark as it should be.

I does however it does taste quite similar to the original, not quite as strong (so far at 5% and i think its ment to be closer to 6%) and is not as dark.

Might be worth checking out Graham W's recipie to compae with others. Only uses Challenger at 90min and Fugles 0min.

I can post the recipie if you want?

Aleman said:
luckyeddie said:
Not tried that, do you have a good clone Tony?

luckyeddie said:
battwave said:
luckyeddie said:

Oh goodness me yes - I'm all for emulating a style e,g Belgian Blond, Belgian Wit, Belgian Golden, Belgian Dubbel, Belgian Tripel, Belgian Quad, Bel.... (voice fades into distance)

A fan of Brewing in Bruges huh? Or maybe Allo Allo?

Bruges is my favourite place in the world. The last time I went there was a couple of years ago. In 5 days I had something like 40 beers - and never had the same one twice.

luckyeddie said:
Someone actually produces a AG kit which claims to be a Broadside clone.

http://www.colchesterhomebrew.co.uk/col ... beer-.html

Personally I've never quite understood the desire to 'clone' a pub beer. By definition, you are already, as a home brewer, producing a far better product than anything that's going to be served up to you in a pub - and your 40 pints is going to cost less than the price of 5 pints in the pub.

As this link is to my website, could I clarify the fact that this isn't a kit that I produce that "CLAIMS" to be a Broadside clone, it is a kit containing all the ingredients to make the version of Adnams Broadside that Graham Wheeler lays down in the 3rd Edition of his BYOBRA book. It contains all the grain, hops, sugar and Irish moss needed as per the recipe.

Because of the difference in peoples water quality around the UK, no water treatment is provided as I can't be sure that any would be needed, nor is priming sugar provided as I've no way of knowing whether or not the user will bottle, keg or cornie keg the finished brew.

I put these kits together (and do others for Timothy Taylor Landlord, Fullers London Pride, Courage Directors, Morlands Old Speckled Hen and Wadworth 6X on a regular basis, plus any of his other recipes made up to order) so that anybody wanting to try a new beer doesn't have to buy in all the individual ingredients, especially with something like the London Pride which has very small quantities of 4 different hops and is thus quite expensive if they are not hops you generally have lying around (though the ones in FLP are common hops and you may well have them left over from other brews).

The Ginger Ninja said:
Theres a Adnams Broadside in Graham Wheelers book. I did a short extract version of it (15L 2 weeks ago - bottling this weekend). So far it tastes pretty good (samples :whistle: ) but am not sure about the acid malt he says to put in it, possibly too much for my liking. Also its not as dark as it should be.

I'd love to see this recipe. (Especially if you had any ideas on how to get it closer to Broadside.)

dmhouse said:
The Ginger Ninja said:
I'd love to see this recipe. (Especially if you had any ideas on how to get it closer to Broadside.)
Proceed with caution, you can't copyright a list of ingredients, and if you tweak the acid down and add a bit of black for more colouring then it becomes your list. Avoid any method wording though.

Adnans Southwold Bitter - As posted by Aleman (I Think)

3 Gallon Water 76C
3 Kg 300gm Malt
165gm Caramalt
60gm Choc Malt
45gm Crystal Malt
45gm Roast Barley

Sparge with 2.5 Gallons of water at 80C with boil for 90mins with:
10gm Challenger,
10gm Fuggles,
12gm Goldings

After 60 mins, 13Gm Challenger.

Last 15 mins, 13gm Goldings, 300gm Sugar, 1 Protofloc

Flame Out – 5 gm Goldings, Steep for 30 mins.

This is the best Ale I’ve brewed yet.

Im afraid im in Japan for another month so cant post the edited GWheeler recipie till I get back. However just before I left i sampled one of my bottles and it was tasteing rather good. Not quite strong enough for broadside, and not quite darkenough, but still a fine pint!

Moley said:
dmhouse said:
The Ginger Ninja said:
Proceed with caution, you can't copyright a list of ingredients, and if you tweak the acid down and add a bit of black for more colouring then it becomes your list. Avoid any method wording though.

noted

Latest posts

Back