hello all

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty198111

Reaction score
just wanted to say hello to you all

i only found this wonderful site today as ive only just decided to start home brewing.

if there is any one awake at this time could you just tell me one thing

im thinking of going and getting this tomorrow and wasnt sure if it will be ok just to get me started

im gonna go for the wine kit

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-9117.aspx

and the lager kit

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-4862.aspx

i know i willnedd to upgrade sooner or later but at the moment its all i can afford

im wanting to experiment with my own recipe's for the wine but the lager im gonna mainly use coopers aus so if u think it will be suitable or not for purpose please say

Hi and welcome to the forum :thumb:

I would post your questions in the wine and cider section - we have some very knowledgable members but they may not look in this section for questions. :thumb:

matty198111 said:

Hi Matty - welcome to the forum :drink:

If you have a look at this starter kit you'll see that the Tesco kit is indeed very good value for money - and it has a hydrometer which the other kit does not - however once your brew has finished fermenting, where are you going to put it? Do you have 40 clean empty beer bottles, and caps, and a capper?

The tesco kit also requires sugar - and you will need to buy brewers sugar to get the best result possible - ordinary supermarket bought sugar is less suited to the yeast, so as I understand it, you will get a lower alcohol result and a sweet beer as a result :hmm:

The other kit is more, but it does include a pressure barrel which, if you wanted to buy a King Keg for example, costs the same as that entire starter kit!!

The Tesco kit also has a £5 delivery charge pushing the price up to £31 - If you can scrape together another £17 you have a better kit and no bottling worries (although you really should add a hydrometer to that kit so you can reliably tell when fermentation is finished.

Just my thoughts - I know budget is always critical - it certainly is for me!!!

Hi Matty

Welcome to the forum - I am new too, only joining the other day.

You know, I had no idea Tesco sold a kit, but good luck with it!!

Cheers!!! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back