Harvesting yeast from a starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The longer you keep it the less viable it will be. Ideally you want to add another 2L when you need it but it will be fine in the fridge for a couple of weeks if you want to do it when you have time

Hi all.. I've been absent for a while whilst I spend all available time demolishing the garage, building a shed and now setting up my brewing kit in there!. I have a question... My stocks have dwindled since doing this. I've got an all grain brew in the brew fridge and since my cornies are empty, I'm going to chuck the good old reserve of Wilko Cerveza in the corny fridge as I've still got the heater in there from when it was a brew fridge so I can get stocks up quick.

Back to my question... I overbuild back in Jan / Feb with San Fransisco lager yeast. I still have the remains in the fridge. Do you think it will still be viable (after nearly 5 months) to build up again for use in this cerveza? Either that or I just bung in the dry yeast they provided with it as per my previous brews with this.

thanks,
Rich

Hi all.. I've been absent for a while whilst I spend all available time demolishing the garage, building a shed and now setting up my brewing kit in there!. I have a question... My stocks have dwindled since doing this. I've got an all grain brew in the brew fridge and since my cornies are empty, I'm going to chuck the good old reserve of Wilko Cerveza in the corny fridge as I've still got the heater in there from when it was a brew fridge so I can get stocks up quick.

Back to my question... I overbuild back in Jan / Feb with San Fransisco lager yeast. I still have the remains in the fridge. Do you think it will still be viable (after nearly 5 months) to build up again for use in this cerveza? Either that or I just bung in the dry yeast they provided with it as per my previous brews with this.

thanks,
Rich

Yeah I would think so.. try a smaller starter to get things going if you're not sure and then step it up to a fuller size.

It's probably not particularly viable by now, if it were me I'd just buy some yeast, unless it's something out of the ordinary the shop doesn't have.

The right thing to do would be start again from a single cell culture or a slant.

The bodge would be to pitch it into a weak 1l starter (without a stir plate), see if it ferments, and if it does collect the wort (not the dead cells from the trub), cold crash it out, and do your stepping up from that.

Latest posts

Back